PDA

View Full Version : Mudflaps, friend or foe?

Kleanride
10-27-2004, 06:27 AM
So I am out detailing the 2001 Civic when I decide to go in for a closer look at & behind the mudflaps (which are the molded plactic kind that comes stock on some Civics) when what do I notice??? The thing has been rubbing the paint away behind it and out of sight so RUST is forming!!!!!!!!! Well, my bride is planning on bringing the car in to our mechanic friend for some winterizing stuff anyway so I had her get these things taken off at that point too. Well, it was just the one that was doing damage, but NOW what do I do?! I think I am going to bring it to the dealer and see if they will touch it up...we had some paint flakes come off the rear bumper last year and they fixed it at no cost, so I am hoping they will do this too!

I will post some pics of what lurked behind the rest of the flaps later this week or weekend.

//end rant

:nixweiss :( :mad: :confused: (<--all my feelings when I saw this problem. A 2001 Autopians car should NEVER rust in the first 3 years)

:D

vapore0n
10-27-2004, 06:53 AM
dont cars have a warranty for rusting?

If you get it fixed, get some clear contact paper or a piece of plastic used for the clear bra, and use it there to prevent rubbing.

meGrimlock
10-27-2004, 08:47 AM
The rust warranty usually pertains to rust perforation, not just surface rust.

See what your dealer says. If they won`t do it for free, it shouldn`t be too expensive to have a body shop touch the spot up. Just make sure you take care of it before the rust gets out of hand.

Scottwax
10-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Mudflaps are evil. My Accord had them behind the front wheels and when I bought the car, the first thing I did when I brought it home was to remove them. No rust though since it was an original Texas car. I just thought they were fugly.

White95Max
10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
I just took off my mudflaps after reading this thread this afternoon. I couldn`t believe how much crap was back there! There were little rust spots and a ton of dirt...and behind the splash guard there was even a pile of old nasty leaves and dirt. Of course with a little help from my friends...clay, 3M, 1Z, and EX-P, I was able to clean the area pretty well and leave it protected.

I put the guards back on since they keep salt and dirt from getting thrown against the bottom of my doors, but I`ll take them off twice a year or more from now on to make sure there is no new rust.

Lynn Matthews
10-27-2004, 11:13 PM
After the huge rock chip in the middle of my windshield from the Ford Bronco with no mudflaps in front of me last weekend I would say I want the trucks in front of me to have them. I wasn`t even close to him at all and now I have a deductible for a new windshield on our 04 Honda Pilot that we have only had since May. :angry Sorry, but it just ticked me off!

Now that I have gotten that out... As far as mudflaps on my own rig, I like them and I agree with the idea of taking them off once in a while to clean up behind them. ;)

Lynn

Jesstzn
10-28-2004, 10:59 PM
What I have done on my Passat that has the contoured mud flaps is I don`t run them in the summer at all and come late fall I hold them in place and put masking tape 1/4" from the edge of the flaps. Then I take them down and place a layer of black electrical tape from the rolled edge of the fender to the tape line.

I then mount the flaps over the tape. In the spring I remove them and the tape has taken any abuse. The tape is then removed with no ill effects to the paint.

There is a few other things I do with electrical tape in the winter to save the paint eg;

Tape over the leading edge of the roof

tape over the fender lips

tape the backs of the mirrors

tape the leading edge bulge on my fenders

Sounds crazy but it works .. and for $2 what the hell.

PAW
10-28-2004, 11:07 PM
I`ve got them on my TL. They keep the rocks off of the body. When I wash it, I push the flap away from the body and flush behind it. You can also take a round file or Dremel tool and make the mounting hole oval. With the material removed from the wheelwell side. That way you can shift the flaps out from the body slightly. They will prevent rubbing but you will collect more dirt behind them.

splattj
10-29-2004, 06:18 AM
I have them on my eclipse but I took them off, cleaned real good, and then laid down a nice smooth bead of clear silicone so no moisture or debris can get between them and the body. So far it`s holding up great and hasn`t cracked or discolored in the last 18 months...

foxtrapper
10-29-2004, 08:56 AM
They do a good job of keeping rocks and such from tearing up the underside of your car. Lots of fwd cars are nicely rusted from the spray kicked up by the front wheels. Those with mudflaps up there have far less damage.

But, they frequently do trap muck in between the body and mudflap itself. So wash that area thoroughly and carefully.

Peter Crowl
10-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

There is a few other things I do with electrical tape in the winter to save the paint eg;

Tape over the leading edge of the roof

tape over the fender lips

tape the backs of the mirrors

tape the leading edge bulge on my fenders

Sounds crazy but it works .. and for $2 what the hell.

Ok--I`m intrigued. I`ve never gone looking for clear bra material...but if I can find it wouldn`t that do the job perhaps a little less obviously? Is it difficult to remove the bra material?

I like the idea...just not the electrical tape part...but then my cars aren`t Black :~)

Peter..in soon to be snowy Denver

obbop
11-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I got some tape (mylar????) from the local pick-up truck accessory store to place between the mud guard and the paint.

The manufacturer`s mounting instructions calls for the tape to be used to prevent damage to the paint.

Time will tell if it works.

togwt
11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

Ok--I`m intrigued. I`ve never gone looking for clear bra material...but if I can find it wouldn`t that do the job perhaps a little less obviously? Is it difficult to remove the bra material?

I like the idea...just not the electrical tape part...but then my cars aren`t Black :~)

Peter..in soon to be snowy Denver

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Paint Saving, Clear Protective Shield 3/8th, 2 & 4-inch wide, sold per ft basis (Griotâ€â„¢s Garage PN 77890)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM