PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean major bird sh*t?

djsway
11-01-2004, 03:01 PM
@$@$#$!!!! I just washed my car this weekend and my gf had to park the car under a tree. Now it`s covered with majo bird poo, will a wash do the trick to remove the bird sh*t?

dalmore
11-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Bird poop can be pretty abrasive and can etch your paint fairly fast under the proper conditions. So you want to get it off soon without scrubbing and scratching.

I`d start with a wash but if the crap has dried on, you`ll need to step up to a dedicated cleaner. Poorboys make one that gets frequent raves. I`ve personally never tried it.

Look for a tar and bug remover - I`ve been using Tarminator but I`ve been disappointed with it. I find that 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol works just as well.
Careful not to scrub - remember this stuff is abravise and will scratch. Something about birds using little rocks or sand to aid digestion. :dunno However, having dealt with major etching, I`d take a few scratches to get it off. I can buff those out.

djsway
11-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Bird poop can be pretty abrasive and can etch your paint fairly fast under the proper conditions. So you want to get it off soon without scrubbing and scratching.

I`d start with a wash but if the crap has dried on, you`ll need to step up to a dedicated cleaner. Poorboys make one that gets frequent raves. I`ve personally never tried it.

Look for a tar and bug remover - I`ve been using Tarminator but I`ve been disappointed with it. I find that 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol works just as well.
Careful not to scrub - remember this stuff is abravise and will scratch. Something about birds using little rocks or sand to aid digestion. :dunno However, having dealt with major etching, I`d take a few scratches to get it off. I can buff those out.

So 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol won`t damage my paint? Will that Turtle wax bug remover work?
Is it legal to shoot down birds? :flamed

dalmore
11-01-2004, 03:37 PM
50/50 water and rubbing alcohol won`t damage your paint. Turlte Wax bug remover might just work. I`ve never tried it. May take a few tries...

TDMAN
11-01-2004, 04:38 PM
I usually just QD it and then put a clay bar on it.

Big Leegr
11-02-2004, 05:23 AM
The 50/50 alcohol mix will affect the wax (bad), so if you choose this method, be sure to re-wax the area, or at the very least, qd it.

If the bird bombs don`t come off with a wash or qd (If it`s as wide spread as it seems to me, I`d wash first. Too much to wipe.), and you`ve got a garage, or some "protection" from the environment, you can use the car soap or S+W and let it sit a bit to loosen the bombs and then rinse.

If you decide to order some Poorboy`s Bird Sh#t Remover for future occasions, you`d better hurry, as once he`s out of stock, it officially becomes a collector`s item!

ALAN81
11-02-2004, 06:48 AM
To bad you dont have PB birdsh*t remover it works real well.If not boiling hot water poured over the birdsh*t breaks it up.If you have use of a hose you can hose it off.That is how I deal with birdsh*t

Bill D
11-02-2004, 09:31 AM
The alcohol solution helps draw up the acids out of the crap. Once it liquifies you could gently wipe it away. A big "bomb" probably will require polishing from any scratch or etching still left behind. Before I do that I follow up with a baking soda/water solution to help further neutralize the acid .

djsway
11-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Ok, I`m stupid, I washed it off with a chemile and now I have a few swirl marks :brick :ticked :ranton :beat :angry :bigscream :wall

Poorboy
11-02-2004, 02:40 PM
To bad you dont have PB birdsh*t remover it works real well.If not boiling hot water poured over the birdsh*t breaks it up.If you have use of a hose you can hose it off.That is how I deal with birdsh*t

whoe there....boiling water can cause clearcoat shock and damage the clearcoat...you might not see the effects immediately but the clearcoat can crack and usually from underneath:nono ....warm water or a specialty cleaner like BSR , if not remove as much as you can with a wash and then use a chemical cleaner or polish to remove as much as possible. Sometime during the summer if it bakes in, then it`s too late:(

Bill D
11-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Ah, so is it true BSR is still going to be produced? Is it only a remover or also an acid neutralizer as well?

ALAN81
11-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Sorrry I did not mean boiling water I meant hot water from the tap.I get bird bombs all the time on my outside vehicles and pour hot water over the crap and it disolves the follow up with bird sh-t remover..............works all of the time unless you had a bird fly by who had chinese food the night before!