PDA

View Full Version : black steel rims

kiwi133
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
So tomorrow the UPS man should be bringing my winter wheel/tire set from tirerack.com

I was just wondering, since I don`t want to pay for hubcaps, if I would get any protective benefit from waxing the steel wheels. Also, would normal products even work on the non-glossy black paint.

Thanks in advance!

jaybs02
10-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I use Meg`s cleaner wax on my stock steel rims for my Taurus, becaues you could see them through the hubcap and now they are a bright black and easier to clean :D

kiwi133
10-26-2004, 09:37 PM
What do you think would bond better to the rim paint.

A polymer or wax?

I have, AIO, LG, 5SS :o , Nufinnish:eek: .

some mothers cleanerwax, and :bow #16

I`m inclined to just hit it with some #16 unless anyone thinks a some AIO or LG might help it bond better.

On the other hand... what else is nufinnish good for? ;) (seriously though, before I came here that was all I used on my old white z34 and I found it to have a very impressive cling to the paint throughout the winters)

Accumulator
10-27-2004, 11:25 AM
I use sealants on my black steel rims. Makes the satin black look good, keeps them easy to clean and protects them too. I`ll either use the Klasse twins or BF/UPP depending on my mood. The NuFinish might be good for this application.

A good job on the back of the wheels, especially on the mounting surface, can be a good idea too. It`ll help keep stuff from sticking back where you can`t see it. And often the steel wheels will rust onto the hubs during the winter and will thus be a pain to get off come spring. Anything you do to prevent this will be time well spent.

YoSteve
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Acc you are one detailing nut, I love it ;)

kiwi133
10-27-2004, 11:27 PM
I just applied a coat of LG. Too bad the tires are so much lighter than the rim and dressing them would be counter productive. I hope the tires look darker in daylight :nixweiss

Accumulator
10-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Those rims look a lot better with the LG on them than they would bare :xyxthumbs

I don`t think dressing the tires would be counterproductive, just use a dressing that doesn`t give the too-shiny look. Even in the winter, it pays to keep the rubber protected.

Setec Astronomy
10-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I use sealants on my black steel rims.

Did we catch you detailing your 9C1 again? ;)

Accumulator
10-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Did we catch you detailing your 9C1 again? ;)

Heh heh, the good 9C1 doesn`t do winter and the others aren`t driveable at present :o

I meant the winter wheels for the Mazda minivan :D