PDA

View Full Version : The Protector teflon

Boostmaster123
10-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Alright well me and my buddy have been doin this detailing thing on the side doin a couple cars a week. We have been using this stuff that he got from a dealer called The Protector teflon cleaner wax and that is what we have been using on the cars. We have been detailing our own cars and others cars for years now and it seems that this wax is the most efficient. It contains petrolium and it dries really fast, making quick work of waxing the cars. Has anyone heard of this wax before? it seems to leave a really glossy smooth finish. I guess my main question is, should i be using this on customers cars or should i go with something else? We were using meguiars #26 before this.

salty
10-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Welcome, use whatever works for you. I have never heard of it, but in general cleaner waxes do not last very long as they are meant to do two jobs at once. If you are serious about detailing, then you have come to the right place. Read and read some more. The truth is here.

togwt
10-28-2004, 08:15 AM
:welcome to Autopia Boostmaster123

I agree with salty, do whatever works for you.

I will add this on Teflon though- A synthetic polymer formula produced by Dupont Chemicals, they state;" The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer paint does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon to be beneficial in car waxes. Teflon requires a temperature of 680ÂÂF for it to sinter or bond to a surface."

imported_Larry A
10-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Seems that now Dupont makes their own wax with teflon in it.

Boostmaster123
10-28-2004, 09:59 PM
thanks for the welcome everyone. I read about that dupont stuff somewhere else that teflon doesnt protect and all that. i guess what i should really be doing is using the cleaner first and finishing off with the 26. Plus that way i can charge more :) thanks again

Mike

Superior Shine
10-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Explain this?!?!?!?!?-----------------

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1817_85807922

PAW
10-28-2004, 10:38 PM
What every sells stuff!! May Souveran should label itself as organic. A new niche market! (Yes I know it couldn`t be organic. It`s got petrolum solvents in it.) :D

togwt
10-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Superior Shine

Explain this?!?!?!?!?-----------------

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1817_85807922

~One manÃâ‚â„s opinion / observations~

Check out the patent [1992]

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=4,284,668.WKU.&OS=PN/4,284,668&RS=PN/4,284,668

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=5,081,171.WKU.&OS=PN/5,081,171&RS=PN/5,081,171

I am still not convinced that its nothing more than Ãâ‚Ëœbrand name recognitionÃâ‚Â (marketing) unless someone can come up with a convincing argument IÃâ‚â„ll go along with the quote from DupontÃâ‚Â/

Teflon has been around for a long time (I think its origin was space exploration) if it is a viable automotive protectant why hasnÃâ‚â„t it been used in paint or a much more viable market like automotive products (a multi-million $ industry) before now

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Check out the patent [1992]

Teflon has been around for a long time (I think its origin was space exploration)

I can`t find these products on DuPont`s website, although my google search produced a range of products in this family sold by various distributors on the internet. Perhaps DuPont doesn`t really make these, but licenses their name for use in association with its manufacture by others. Or it could be that their website is so huge I just couldn`t find it, despite searching on "car wax".

The patents were fascinating, and talk about acid in the pores of the paint, etc., which some of us have been discussing recently vis-a-vis the paint decon systems by Auto Int. and Finish Kare. There is apparently a companion wash to use with the teflon wax.

BTW, teflon precedes the space program. IIRC, teflon was accidentally discovered during the Manhattan Project when DuPont was trying to perfect a membrane material used in the gaseous diffusion process for enriching uranium at Oak Ridge. It was commercialized after the war.

the other pc
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM
quoted from a piece by Mary Bellis at: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blteflon.htm

"PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene was discovered on April 6, 1938 by Dr. Roy Plunkett at the DuPont research laboratories (Jackson Laboratory in New Jersey). Plunkett was working with gases related to Freon refrigerants when upon checking a frozen, compressed sample of tetrafluoroethylene, he and his associates discovered that the sample had polymerized spontaneously into a white, waxy solid to form polytetrafluoroethylene or PTFE.

PTFE was first marketed under the DuPont Teflon  trademark in 1945. The molecular weight of Teflon can exceed 30,000,000, making it one of the largest molecules known. The surface is so slippery, virtually nothing sticks to it or is absorbed by it."

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Ok...I was partially right :o

Maybe I got my teflon and goretex stories mixed up :o :o

Finish Kare
10-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Couple years ago we visited a corp flight department that uses a good amount of our products. They had a teflon sealant applied to one of their jets after it had been painted (on the recommendation of the paint shop). They said it had been buffed on (high speed buffer) in such a way that it created a good amount of heat. The company that applied it said it was the only way they could get it to adhere to the paint. The job cost about $5k

A year later the paint began to peel off. The plane had to be repainted.

There used to be a page on Duponts own web site that discounted the use of Teflon in the use of products like waxes and sealants due to its adhesion properties. This web page may still be out there