PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding Problem

YoBro
10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
I wet sanded a small section of a black hood this weekend and after buffing with 3M SWR you can still see where it was sanded. You can only see it by looking at certain angles. I did other sections and they came out great, cant figure out why on the hood. Any help or ideas on fixing the problem is much appreciated.

bufferman71
10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
When you wet sanded, di you wrap the paper around a block of just fold it and use your hand?

Gonzo
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Did you move to progressively finer sand papers? What grit(s) did you use?

paco
10-25-2004, 12:55 PM
1. If it`s only on the hood, do you know if the hood has been repainted? Perhaps you were working with 2 different paints.

When you say you can only see at certain angles, what are you seeing?

2. Perhaps you level off the orange a bit better in one section rather then another, hence why can notice a difference.

Paco

pontgta
10-25-2004, 02:43 PM
3m swirl mark remover is not designed to remove sand scratches.

You will need to coumpound those scratches out. I recomend using 3m perfect it III RC 05933, this will remove those sand scratches. After that, i would use the 3m Machine glaze 05937 to remove the swirls.

By the way, if you look closely at the other spots, you will more than likely see the sand scratches.

Also, the finesse it II by 3m Is a good product too. TH :up

YoBro
10-25-2004, 04:41 PM
I used 2000 grit and sanded by hand not using a block.

There is a possibilty that the hood had been repainted. If you look at the reflection in a light you can see where it was sanded, its not very noticable but still an imperefection.

pontgta: Thanks thats the response I was hoping for.

Is that machine glaze better to use instead 3M swirl remover for normal detailing?

Accumulator
10-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by YoBro

pontgta: Thanks thats the response I was hoping for.

Is that machine glaze better to use instead 3M swirl remover for normal detailing?

Yeah, Pontgta is right on the money :xyxthumbs I use the 05933 and 05937 after wetsanding too (but I wetsand with 3k grit).

IMO the 05937 is *the* mild polish for general detailing. I use more of that stuff than all my other (similar) products combined, and that`s saying something. Only time I use something other than 05933 and 05937 is when I want to do a car with 1Z polishes instead, and they`re sorta a different animal, what with their wax content.

YoBro
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
If I cant find those 2 locally do you guys know of an online store for them? I checked 3Ms site and it doesnt look like I can buy that from their online store. I found the 3M SWR at Pep Boys but I dont think they carry this other line.

Thanks

acl99
10-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Wet sanding with a block or anything to distribute even pressure is a must. If you just use your hands or fingers you will most likely be distributing uneven pressure on the sandpaper leading to uneven sanding marks which are tougher to buff out since some are deeper than others. Ive also seen attempts at wetsanding touchups with no block which left something similar to an indent in light where the sanding took place due to the uneven sanding.

Eliot Ness
10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by YoBro

If I cant find those 2 locally do you guys know of an online store for them? .....

Here is one place:

http://www.premiumautocare.com/3mperitiiico.html

http://www.premiumautocare.com/3mpeitiiimag.html

YoBro
10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Acuracl98

Wet sanding with a block or anything to distribute even pressure is a must. If you just use your hands or fingers you will most likely be distributing uneven pressure on the sandpaper leading to uneven sanding marks which are tougher to buff out since some are deeper than others. Ive also seen attempts at wetsanding touchups with no block which left something similar to an indent in light where the sanding took place due to the uneven sanding.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitly use a block in the future. I guess Ive been lucky until now.