PDA

View Full Version : wet cutting pad??

NVcobra
10-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi, just washed my orange pad and didnt get it as dry as normal. I knoticed much more hazing after my aplication. Is this a good way to get more cut out of a pad?? Im thinking the abrasives dont break down as fast resulting in more cutting action. Thx

MongooseGA
10-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I`ve noticed that when I wash my pads (warm water with a touch of dish soap) that the cutting pad epecially gets much softer. I`ve never had it wet while detailing, but it might have been softer when you were polishing.

I`ve also noticed that I get more hazing if i run over a little bead of water that I missed before polishing. I don`t think it has bad effects on the poishing, but it might just take a minute or two more to break it down.

RedondoV6
10-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Wetting a buffing pad seems to increase the cutting power of many cutting polishes. I`m not sure why this happens, maybe someone can explain the science involved?

Eliot Ness
10-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RedondoV6

Wetting a buffing pad seems to increase the cutting power of many cutting polishes. I`m not sure why this happens, maybe someone can explain the science involved?

Not sure if this answers your question completely, but here is a quote from LC:

"If the pad is new or dry, dampen the pad surface by misting it with water. This will aid in compound/polish dispersion. Continue periodic misting throughout the task. Remember that different foams will load up with compound/polish at different rates."

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foamcare.html

Accumulator
10-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Yep the water prevents/retards the breakdown of the abrasive. This supposedly doesn`t work with all polishes/compounds, but it does work with most of them that I`ve tried. It usually doesn`t make for a *huge* difference but it`s worth remembering.

FWIW, I dunno about the Lake advice....I use their pads and I never use a pad damp unless I have a specific reason for doing so. I don`t even prime them with QD when using a PC/Cyclo (rotary is different).