PDA

View Full Version : LC 6" vs 7.5"

Pages : [1] 2

HotRodGuy
10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I`m about to order new pads and was curious the pros and cons of each.

I tried doing a search but couldn`t find anything :(

bufferman71
10-22-2004, 01:41 PM
What color and style? Ill help you in any way i can.

maecrispy
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
HotRodGuy: check this URL. Near the bottom is some info on the 6" vs. 7.5" CP pads by LC.

http://www.properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html

HotRodGuy
10-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I`m looking at the Constant Pressure 6" vs the 7.5" advanced constant pressures. I will be ordering finishing, polishing

I`m fairly new to detailing but i`ve got the hang of the 6" pads. I only use a PC.

What are the pros and cons of the red finishing vs the black?

Also, I thought LC made a orange pad? How is the cutting pad, i`ve still yet to use it, should it be avoided w/ a PC?

HotRodGuy
10-22-2004, 02:09 PM
sorry, I know the question is pretty general, I don`t really know what to be asking :(

bufferman71
10-22-2004, 02:18 PM
We still do make an orange pad. Its great for lite cutting. The difference between the red and the black is that the black is great for swirl removal, it doesnt compress as easy as the red, its a more fuller bodied pad if that makes sense. It actually does a mechanical process of removing swirls. The red pad is for final finishing. Used for transferring a product to surface. (waxes, sealants) It really has no mechanical function. I hope this helps.

maecrispy
10-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy

I`m looking at the Constant Pressure 6" vs the 7.5" advanced constant pressures. I will be ordering finishing, polishing

I`m fairly new to detailing but i`ve got the hang of the 6" pads. I only use a PC.

What are the pros and cons of the red finishing vs the black?

Also, I thought LC made a orange pad? How is the cutting pad, i`ve still yet to use it, should it be avoided w/ a PC?

Neither the red nor the black have any bite to them. I have one of the red pads but haven`t even used it yet since I tend to hand apply my LSP`s. They say black is for glazes and red for LSP`s but I`ve used black for LSP`s in the past with good results.

http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html

As far as the 6 vs. 7.5" pads, the 7.5" pads really allow you to work with a lot of different surfaces/angles better but you really have to have your basic PC technique down pretty good.

LC does make orange cutting pads:

http://www.properautocare.com/coprorpopa.html

As far as whether you should use cutting pads (orange or yellow), they defeinitely have their use and if you do a lot of cars, they should be part of your arsenal. That being said, I usually use them only when there are serious defects in the paint (nasty scratches, paint transfer, etc...)

As I`m sure you`ve seen on this forum, the general rule is use the least abrasive combo first to tackle defects. For me that`s usually LC white and an appropriate polish. I do use the LC 4" orange w/ 3.5" backing plate for spot repairs fairly often though.

Eliot Ness
10-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy

.....Also, I thought LC made a orange pad? How is the cutting pad, i`ve still yet to use it, should it be avoided w/ a PC?

They do make an orange pad, but it`s listed on a separate page from the other 6" pads, go figure????

http://www.properautocare.com/classic-motoring/coprorpopa.html

The orange pad is considered a cutting pad, but it is less aggressive than the yellow pads. Autopia also sells the 6.5" LC orange pad but it does not have the "Constant Pressure" blue foam like the newer styles, which I THINK are made special for CMA.

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/lcm-76-2165vc.html

I`ve used the orange pad with DACP and haven`t had any problems with it hazing, but I usually follow up with a polish pad anyway. I haven`t had a need for the yellow pads, but there are users here who do use them on a PC.

LC has thrown a wrench into the works with the addition of those new pads as far as my pad chart goes. The red pad is the softest of the bunch and geared for final wax, where the black pad is not quite as soft and made for glazes. If I only had the choice of one finish pad I`d probably go with the black, but since I use mostly Meg`s polish and finishing 6.5" pads (I like `em flat) I couldn`t say if you`d notice a visual difference or not.

I think my next pad trial will be with the Sonus because Autopia sells them, they are flat, and I`ve yet to hear a negative comment about them.

It does get confusing, HTH

BookemDano
10-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I have a full set of 6" and 7.5" LC pads from Proper Auto Care. Great pads. I much prefer the 7.5" pads. Lots more flexibility and safety than the 6". (The backing plate on the 7.5" inch pads sits in a pocket in the back of the pad.)

If you read the tips on using the 7.5" pads (on www.properautocare.com), you should have no problems using them given that you have some experience with the PC.

I`ve used the red and black pads for applying Menzerna FMJ and Zaino Z5. Z5 goes on much smoother (IMO) using the PC than by hand. Wafer thin, even coating. A breeze to wipe off.

Note that I`ve just learned today that the 7.5" LC pads on www.properautocare.com are DIFFERENT from the 7.5" LC pads on other sites. Better? Don`t know. But definitely different!

I might buy Sonus or Edge pads to try out just because I`m curious, but not with any specific intention of replacing my LC pads.

Regards,

Dan.

HotRodGuy
10-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks Dan, I think my next step will definately be 7.5" pads

thanks for the advice guys!

disasnguy
10-23-2004, 12:14 PM
are the pads from properautocare different? aren`t they all manufactured by lake country? i know there are the constant pressure pads with the blue lining but the foam should be the same right? anyone care to comment on this?

BookemDano
10-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by disasnguy

are the pads from properautocare different? aren`t they all manufactured by lake country? i know there are the constant pressure pads with the blue lining but the foam should be the same right? anyone care to comment on this?

I wrote the post below on another forum.

It turns out that some products are only sold by certain vendors. Some products with the same name on different sites are actually different. The opposite is also true - some products with a different name are actually the same.

It`s a very confusing landscape out there. When discussing a pad, I STRONGLY recommend that we be VERY specific about the pad name and the vendor that we bought it from.

For example, I use the 7.5" LC pads. It turns out that this means nothing. I need to say that I use the "Advanced, 7.5" Hi-Gloss, Constant Pressure Pads" purchased from www.properautocare.com! These are NOT the same pad as "Curved Edge Variable Contact

7.5" Foam Pads" from www.autogeek.net. However, I believe that autogeek`s pads ARE the same as the "Lake Country Polisher Pads 7.5" (Variable Depth)" sold by www.topoftheline.com. Except of course that Autogeek has their 7.5" pads in four colors, while top of the line has their 7.5" pads in six colors (including blue and green).

Everyone confused? Yes? Good; I`m not alone then. :p

Regards,

Dan.

------

From another forum

------

Scott,

Your post confused me, so I did some checking. It looks like Lake Country makes multiple pads for different retailers. Based on what I can see and read, they are NOT the same pads.

CMA (www.properautocare.com) - Check out this link:

http://www.properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html

About 1/3 of the way down is the "6-1/2 inch VC Pad with Polish Pocket". I think this is the old pad. Note that it does NOT have the blue "Constant Pressure" foam backing.

About 3/4 of the way down the page is the "6 inch Constant Pressure Pad". This is the pad that I`ve been referring to. Note that it DOES have the Constant Pressure backing. It has a polish pocket in the center. It only comes in yellow, orange, white, black and red. But not blue and green. (Note that the orange pad is listed separately.)

Below the 6" pads are the "7-1/2 inch, Advanced Constant Pressure Pad". This is the other pad that I`ve been referring to. Again, it DOES have the Constant Pressure backing and has a polish pocket. It has a contour similar to the "Variable Contour" pad (which is the older pad, I believe). It only comes in yellow, orange, white, black and red. But not blue and green.

www.topoftheline.com:

http://www.topoftheline.com/porter-cable-polisher.html

It appears that these folks are offering the LC 7.5" NON-constant pressure "variable DEPTH" pads. They do NOT have the "constant pressure" blue foam backing. These come in the yellow, orange, white, blue, green and black. But not red.

They also offer the 6.5" FLAT pads. These are NOT the same as CMA`s 6" pressure pads with polish pocket. They come in orange, black and white.

At Lake Country site:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads.html

You will find different information. You can see that the LC folks don`t show the CMA pads. They do show the Premimum Auto Car pads, but refer to the 7.5" pads as the "Variable Contact" pads, not "Variable Depth" (Top of the line). These don`t have the blue "constant pressure" backing of CMA pads (which are made by LC).

Then at http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html:

They offer the 6.5" and 7.5" "Variable Contact" pads. These do NOT have the "Constant Pressure" foam backing. The do however look like some of the other pads offered by Top of the line. But, they have different colors!

It`s a confusing place out there. I was hoping to offer clarity here, but I think I`ve added to the confusion.

But, what I can see is that the CMA pads are 1) LC Pads and 2) curved and 3) have a blue "constant pressure" backing. Therefore, they ARE different from the LC pads offered by other vendors. Better? Maybe. (I like them) I don`t really know. But they ARE different!

We havin` fun yet?

Regards,

Dan.

HotRodGuy
10-26-2004, 11:47 AM
thanks again

HotRodGuy
12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
ordered the 7.5" constant pressure pads finally this weekend ;)

BookemDano
12-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Great! Let us know how they work out.