PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Rain X

Pages : [1] 2 3

AutoNova
10-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Is there anything on the market that comes in bulk that works like Rain X? I am getting tired of buying the bottles but want something easy to apply with the same effects.

Bill D
10-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Castrol makes an equivalent as does I believe at least one other. Aquapel does the same thing for much longer but generally only available online, few sources have it especially in single units only. Ebay sometimes is a good source.

Here`s a recent discussion on Aquapel:

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=23467&t=23467

AutoNova
10-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Has anyone used this?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=32&catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&TID=8014524

captkirk2
10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
For some reason RainX does not seem as effective on my 2 new cars as it has in the past. I tried something called Rain Block found at walmart. Definately not as effective as Rainx. I searched and the camp is divided over the effectiveness of the Accuvison product vs rainx. As for bulk, you can get Aquapel at autoint.com

maecrispy
10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

Castrol makes an equivalent as does I believe at least one other. Aquapel does the same thing for much longer but generally only available online, few sources have it especially in single units only. Ebay sometimes is a good source.

:up to Bill D`s comments.

Aquapel on my own car has lasted 5 months now. You`ll get excellent results assuming you prep the glass properly first. My only complaint isn`t really a complaint. I like to polish the windshield and rear window when I notice them starting to get rough to the touch from embedded dirt and what not. That usually means every 3 months or so. However, aquapel lasts so long, I`ve let it go without polishing since I know the abrasives will destroy the aquapel.

So, I can`t stand it any longer. I have to polish the glass so I`ll have to redo the aquapel. I don`t really feel that bad about it though since I paid so little for it on ebay (I bought 40 vials at about $2 each.)

One more thing: don`t use a QD to clean your windows if you use Aquapel. It will smear and cause hazing. Use a dedicated glass cleaner like EO 20/20.

tom p.
10-22-2004, 10:41 AM
:up

togwt
10-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Castrol Super Clean AccuVisionâ„¢ is a proprietary blend of reactive molecules and other ingredients that chemically bond to any glass surface on contact (as opposed to some silicone products, which behave more like a wax on glass.) The AccuVision result is a uniform coating on your windshield, which repels rain, sleet and snow, improving wet weather visibility up to 40%, so you can actually recognize dangers sooner and have more time to react.

Unlike most competitive glass treatment products in the automotive aftermarket, with AccuVision there is no buffing and rubbing until clear and there is no required drying time. It is a single application, two-step – just spray and wipe – one-minute glass treatment. Plus, AccuVision will not harm vehicle surfaces including painted parts, convertible tops, weather stripping and more.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

thinksnow
10-22-2004, 11:16 AM
One more thing: don`t use a QD to clean your windows if you use Aquapel. It will smear and cause hazing. Use a dedicated glass cleaner like EO 20/20.

Another tip from an Aquapel user: Meg`s #16 has a terrible reaction to an Aquapel`d windshield. Hard to explain, but the windshield built up an incredible amount of static while applying, making removal next to impossible.

Rob Tomlin
10-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Is Aquapel available at local stores like Auto Zone?

NXT4now
10-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by thinksnow

Another tip from an Aquapel user: Meg`s #16 has a terrible reaction to an Aquapel`d windshield. Hard to explain, but the windshield built up an incredible amount of static while applying, making removal next to impossible.

Is the statics coming from the microfiber towel? I noticed the same thing when I was trying to remove NXT from the windshield one time. Try a terry cotton towel and see if that helps.

kbulava85
10-22-2004, 01:18 PM
I give all my outer glass one annual Ombrello treatment.

This stuff is great (especially here in the UK where it seems to rain nearly all the time). I`ve been using it for more than two years now. It takes a bit of getting used to at first but I wouldn`t be without it now.

Just before my first year was up I had to replace my windshield... jeez, I couldn`t wait to Ombrello it.

I get it from weathertec.co.uk (http://www.weathertec.co.uk/mall/Weathertec/products/product-138605.stm), have a read and see the small video.

BTW, I have nothing to do with Weathertec... that`s just where I buy it from.

Happy (and safe) driving!

Cal :D

tom p.
10-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I think you will find Aquapel only on eBay or directly from your local PPG dealer.

I buy it on eBay for around $4 per tube.

blackntan
10-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I just use Klasse SG....

Works better than rainx, and I can use it for it`s normal purpose too..

How does aquapel do compared to SG??

tom p.
10-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by blackntan

How does aquapel do compared to SG??

No comparison. None. The Aquapel is an impressive product.

DrSauekraut
10-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I must be one of the few people to have bad experience with this . . . for some reason or another; the wiper blades begin to skip. If they skip, they’ll scratch the windshield. After several customer complaints, I went back to good ole’ Rainx.