PDA

View Full Version : Tiny paint particles...help please

BlackZR
10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
I made a mistake and left the garage door open. The black 350Z is in the garage and I am outside about 25 feet away spray painting some metal cabinets with Rustoleum enamel.

So now I have these tiny white paint particles on the car. You can only see them in direct sunlight.

I washed the car in Dawn to remove several coats of Zaino. I then used a claybar on the trunk lid. The claybar did removes some, but not all of the particles.

What do I do next?

1. Claybar some more? It did work but so I need new clay since little particles are getting into the clay. (they have to go somewhere)

2. Other mechanical means of removal? (I don`t own a polisher)

3. Some chemical means of removal????

Anxious to hear from the pros out there....:bow

lpquick
10-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Keep claying, don`t want to polish those particles into the finish. Maybe some 50/50 mix of alcohol and water, use a MF towel. I would think you had the car protected pretty good prior to this accident, it shouldn`t be too bad.:up Hope this helps.

BlackZR
10-19-2004, 01:55 PM
re: 50/50 mix of alcohol and water....

do you mean rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol)?

BlackZR
10-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I saw in another post that mineral spirits were recommended for paint shop overspray on wheels.

Could I use mineral spirits? Diluted mineral spirits?

lpquick
10-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Yes that would probably work, try a 50/50 mix, then if it`s not working good enough, change the mix to 70/30 and try again. Best of luck.

BlackZR
10-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Followup...

I did another, very thorough claybar on the vehicle and it worked.

Thanks for the advice.