PDA

View Full Version : Differentiation

LT1Squirrel
10-18-2004, 02:46 PM
I know im not the only one:p , but can someone please explain the differences between a wax, topper, sealant, glaze and examples of each?

also, can someone break down the different types of wax (caranuba, synthetic, etc)?

this will help me a ton, TIA:xyxthumbs

Setec Astronomy
10-18-2004, 02:55 PM
OK, I`ll give this a shot.

A wax is generically, any kind of protectant used on a paint surface. Around here, wax usually refers to a carnauba product like Meguiar`s #16, P21S, Souveran, Natty`s, etc.

A sealant, is a protectant with a polymer or other synthetic base, like Poorboy`s EX-P, Meguiar`s NXT, Klasse, Zaino, etc.

A topper is a product used to "top" another, meaning it is applied after the first one. Frequently, a carnauba wax is used to top a sealant to give it a "warmer" look.

A glaze is a very mild polish generally used to increase the gloss (and possibly fill some defects) prior to waxing (er...sealanting). Some examples would be Clearkote Vanilla Moose, Megiuar`s #7 or #81...and...um...someone will list some others.

Accumulator
10-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Setec basically got it. See how my version compares:

Wax really should be a (last step) product that contains natural waxes such as carnauba.

Sealants are synthetic last step products, i.e., "synthetic waxes".

Topper is something used on top of something else, almost always the last of two products that could both be considered "last step products".

Glazes are generally "body shop safe" products that do not contain silicones. They generally "fill" and or "oil/wet" the paint and won`t last long unless "sealed in" via "topping" with a "wax" or "sealant".

LT1Squirrel
10-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Yeah, Setec basically got it. See how my version compares:

Wax really should be a (last step) product that contains natural waxes such as carnauba.

Sealants are synthetic last step products, i.e., "synthetic waxes".

Topper is something used on top of something else, almost always the last of two products that could both be considered "last step products".

Glazes are generally "body shop safe" products that do not contain silicones. They generally "fill" and or "oil/wet" the paint and won`t last long unless "sealed in" via "topping" with a "wax" or "sealant".

See, this is whats confusing me, how would you know what to top with and put on before another thing?...are you saying that a glaze should be topped with a wax and then a sealant....er......my head is gonna explode:eek: :D

Setec Astronomy
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Easy, kid. Glazes go after you have done all your cleaning and/or polishing. Then, you wax or seal. Sealants usually don`t bond well to carnauba waxes...so if you want to top, you would put a sealant on first, then a wax.

Bill D
10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
If you used a glaze and plan to use a sealant next, check to see if that sealant will bond to the glaze

Accumulator
10-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Or just keep it simple and polish it until it looks good and then apply a sealant *or* a wax.

Skip the glaze (BTW, 3M`s PI-III Machine Glaze isn`t a "glaze" it`s a polish), skip the whole "topper" thing; expend the engery on prep and sciencing out the wash/dry regimen.

Bill D
10-19-2004, 01:08 PM
:up

LT1Squirrel
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Or just keep it simple and polish it until it looks good and then apply a sealant *or* a wax.

Skip the glaze (BTW, 3M`s PI-III Machine Glaze isn`t a "glaze" it`s a polish), skip the whole "topper" thing; expend the engery on prep and sciencing out the wash/dry regimen.

so youre saying wash, (clay if needed), polish, wax is a good regimen that will produce the results just as good?

Bill D
10-19-2004, 02:08 PM
If you polish in a manner that you can remove all of the defects, yes, it will look quite good. Your next decision would be whether to use a wax or sealant. Many of us use a sealant first and then later on, top it with a wax.

Lowejackson
10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
2 stages

1. Prep. This is the polishing to remove any defects and end when the paint has a good shine

2. Last Step Products. These are the steps to give the paint some protection and even greater gloss

Concentrate on stage 1 the most :up

I would also highly recommend the Autopia book and the use of clay

Accumulator
10-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by LT1Squirrel

so youre saying wash, (clay if needed), polish, wax is a good regimen that will produce the results just as good [as using a glaze and a two-step LSP]..?

Generally, yeah. A glaze can make a subtle improvement, as can using a sealant followed by a carnauba topper. But that sort of subtle improvement is *really* splitting hairs and certainly isn`t necessary to have a great looking vehicle.

FWIW, I generally don`t use a glaze between my final polish and my LSP (these days I only use glazes on fresh/uncured paint) and I`ve quit topping my sealants; I`m following my own advice and keeping it simple. My vehicles still look fine ;)

The only "maybe you really oughta.." is topping the sealant and you can decide for yourself if/after you get a few coats of sealant on there. But generally the big emphasis on LSPs is misplaced since most people oughta be concentrating on the prep/polishing.

LT1Squirrel
10-20-2004, 10:47 AM
i was reading the e-book and read that using a synthetic under a caranuba adds depth of the caranuba but the protection of the syn...is this accepted?...if so, what is a good combo for this?

Bill D
10-20-2004, 11:00 AM
A synthetic, aka a sealant, does provide good gloss and excellent protection, topping with a natural carnauba wax product can enhance and increase the "depth" of this gloss.

Here`s what I use currently: AIOX2, SG X5 (plus) topped with Souveran via the spit shine method that was discussed here on the forums.