PDA

View Full Version : Counterweight question

BMcN
10-18-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi guys. Used my PC 7336 over the weekend with a set of Lake County Pads.

I put on the velcro backing plate and attached the pads. All is good however I am getting quite bad vibrations through the buffer. It is very hard to use on speed 6 and leaves my hands kind of numb and cramped.

I took the counterweight off and weighed it. It is approx. 2 and a half ounces.

Is there a heaveir counterweight or solution for this? If I start the buffer with just the backing plate on it (no foam pad) it is perfectly balanced, however when the pad is attached it becomes hard to use. The vibrations were so bad one set of hoops, for the velcro, on the back of my cutting pad are now wrecked and doesn`t stick!

HELP!

togwt
10-18-2004, 07:58 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

Counterweights:

Is a half-moon shaped piece of metal attached to the rotating shaft of the tool, this smoothes out the random orbit action by providing a counter balance to the elliptical orbit of the rotating backing pad. If you change the pad size you must also change the counterweight or suffer unnecessary vibration and possible damage to the tool. Counterweights are attached with two Torx fasteners; size T15.

There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933). The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Even with the 6" counter weight, a PC will still vibrate heavily above 5 (but is less than the 5" weight). This seems to be normal

BMcN
10-18-2004, 08:36 AM
What would happen if I were to make myself a new counter weight that is slightly heaveir?

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 08:41 AM
No idea but if you have the tooling to make a new weight, it would be interesting to hear your feedback.

Ultimately, my PC spends most of its time under speed 4 or 5 and you do get used to the increased vibrations at 6

Eliot Ness
10-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by BMcN

What would happen if I were to make myself a new counter weight that is slightly heaveir?

Here is a good description and pics of the counterweight:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+hknk0501ff92cc92+1094447778

A counterweight will only run about $2.00:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pads.htm?L+coastest+hknk0501ff92cc92+1098158823

sgo
10-18-2004, 08:46 AM
From what I`ve read I have to ask the question - why would you need to use the PC at 6 anyway? I`ve heard it said if you need that kind of speed you need to get a rotary anyway.

Just askin`.:confused:

BMcN
10-18-2004, 09:11 AM
I know what the counter weight is and the one I have is a 6 inch one, when its just the velcro backing plate its perfectly balanced but when the pad is added it is unbalanced (due to the bigger size and weight of the pad I presume). So in theory a slightly bigger weight should help.

As for the tooling needed Lowe, it`ll be a lump of lead bashed, bended, sawn and filed to shape. Probably just screwed under the weight.

stevet
10-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I have found that the 6 inch counter weight with a 5 inch backing plate and a 6 inch pad is the combo the produces the least vibration. Also if you hold the PC by the head with one hand and the rear with the other hand this greatly reduces the vibration. If you hold it by the handle it vibrates much more. I run mine on 6 most of the time and using the combo I suggested and holding it the way I suggested I have no problem with vibration.

RedondoV6
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by stevet

I have found that the 6 inch counter weight with a 5 inch backing plate and a 6 inch pad is the combo the produces the least vibration. Also if you hold the PC by the head with one hand and the rear with the other hand this greatly reduces the vibration. If you hold it by the handle it vibrates much more. I run mine on 6 most of the time and using the combo I suggested and holding it the way I suggested I have no problem with vibration.

Agree with everything said by Steve, 100% :)

BMcN
10-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah I discovered that with the handle too.

However my point is that there is no vibrations when there is no pad on, putting the pad on unbalances it - so its not as it should.

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Dont forget the motion of the pads is not circler and therefore centrifugal forces will be uneven

BMcN
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah I know but the same applies to the backing plate. As long as the pad is pretty much in the middle of the backing plate the counterweight should do its job.

Sveta
10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Stevet is absolutely correct.

(The 5" counter weight was a waste of money and time messing with. )

--------

BMcN,

(I`m already working with a freind who has the equipment to try and find a perfect weight for PAD X and Plate Y and will post any significant findings later. Will try and find one for several popular backing plates, etc.)

Ongoing.....

salty
10-18-2004, 07:34 PM
I`m just `putting this out there` but you might be able to use golf club tape , it is made from lead and has a strong glue back, is cheap and you should be able to find it at any custom fitter. You could remove it if it doesn`t work