PDA

View Full Version : clay bared rims

Pages : [1] 2

MidNiteMysT
10-18-2004, 02:54 AM
i clayed bared my rims the best i could but still couldnt get out a lot of dirty lookin stuff and black dots. maybe ill take a pic. but i guess ill have to live with it cuz i dont feel like working on these rims anymore. plus i guess it still looks good, just as long as you dont stare at it from an inch away. my question is, i just clay bared it, then just rinsed it off with water, is that ok or should i have washed it with car shampoo? im planning to wash it with z7 tomorrow because im just too tired now. so was it ok to leave it overnight without washing it with soap?

and other question, the surface isnt the same as on my car. im wondering if this rim paint even has a clear coat. how do i know if the rim has a clear coat or not? i need to know this cuz ill be applying z5 and z2 soon.

[added pics below in the thread]

forrest@mothers
10-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Can you tell us the brand/style of rim? Is it OE or aftermarket?

If an aluminum rim, and you`re not sure, try rubbing a small amount of aluminum polish on it - if it turns black right away, the rim is not coated.

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 09:06 AM
I would try a dab of brake cleaner and then clay to try and remove the remaining black dots

MidNiteMysT
10-18-2004, 03:44 PM
its aftermarket. they are white Tenzo mean 6 rims. im just so sick of clay baring these rims because its so time consuming. i guess i can try some tar/bug remover but im just so tired of cleaning the rims, i wanna move onto the polish.

vdog0531
10-18-2004, 04:05 PM
take the time to clean them really good, then seal them like your paint. A couple coats of SG and those things will clean up real nice and easy.

Vernon

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Rushing the process will not give you good results. Might be worth leaving them alone for a short time until your ready again

MidNiteMysT
10-18-2004, 08:03 PM
im usually not the rush type but i wanna get these rims on soon, plus clay baring them was such a PITA. do you guys know if these rims even have a clear coat?

oaevo8u
10-18-2004, 08:51 PM
If im not mistaken tenzo wheels have a clear coat. I just clayed my wheels the other day....It is a B@T#H but the final result is amazing. It sounds your like me, I dont get frustrated when it comes to detailing my car because I enjoy it so much but when I get frustrated about other things just pace your self. Do one wheel a day or week and the end result will be great.

dmatre
10-19-2004, 05:38 AM
If you`ve got Klasse AIO in your arsenal, then give that a try.

It works wonders on my painted Benz rims. The brake dust tends to work into little `tar` balls, and embed itself into the paint.

It takes about 15-20 minutes per wheel, but I can get all of the spots out using the AIO.

MattZ28
10-19-2004, 06:00 AM
I Clayed, AIO`d and UPP`d my wheels...took about 45 mins to an hour taking my time. Very nice results too.

Gonzo
10-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Have you tried EO A2Z wheel cleaner. Gets into the nooks and crannies and with an soft OXO brish, does a very good job.

When you are satisfied with the cleaning, then AIO and SG `em. After that brake dust will pretty much wash off. The K-twins are good because the acrylics in them won`t melt at wheel temperatures whereas wax will be gone very quickly.

MidNiteMysT
10-19-2004, 07:06 AM
i wouldnt mind doing the wheels on a long timed schedule but im on a schedule already that needs the wheels to be done kinda soon. and thats exactly what i see on the rim. ya know what? im just gonna take pictures, ill take some pics later.

MidNiteMysT
10-21-2004, 01:36 PM
unfortunately, i dont have the AIO. do you guys recommend a brand that i can get at a pep boys? finally, here are the pics. i would have posted them earlier but autopia was down for a long time.

http://www.fototime.com/{472B21B9-38BD-4767-B762-F8D0CA73492E}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{4C209ED7-1160-471E-A08A-6DC5EC0DE2A8}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{C28D2D43-7D42-4681-AB1B-3C5EF351B295}/picture.JPG

now you can see what im dealing with. i dont really care much about the dirt on the back of the spoke since you wont really see it. and most of it is pretty minor since most of the damage is in the inside of the wheel and not on the outside.

and should i clean and polish this part of the rim? the part that meets the rotor.

http://www.fototime.com/{D464DC96-BEC7-4F4B-B845-6FAB4DEFF91E}/picture.JPG

and when i use the tar and bug remover, will it then be ok to apply zaino after that or should i wash it off with z7 before i apply the polish, or many even clay bar the areas that i used the tar and bug remover so the zaino will adhere properly?

MidNiteMysT
10-22-2004, 12:50 PM
bump

jrotaryb
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I don`t think those black marks are embedded dirt, they look like rock chips. Overall, the wheel still looks dirty - it`s yellowed. If you have chips, get some white touchup and apply on a clean wheel. Once dry, use a fine cutting product like meguiars DACP or even scratch X to clean the surface. Then follow up with a sealant like NXT. I`m pretty sure all of this stuff is available at pep boys (maybe not the DACP). Those are painted wheels, you should treat their imperfections just like the paint on your car. I don`t see why it would take so long...maybe 20 minutes a rim?