PDA

View Full Version : Newbie materials list....

land
10-17-2004, 07:25 PM
I have always enjoyed washing my cars...but I think it is time to take it to a new level...:) What I am wondering is what anyone thinks would be the best bet for my car and my wifes...we have a 2003 civic (black)and an 04 jetta wagon gl (blue grey). I wax the civic about every 3 months with Mequiars gold class clear coat paste car wax. I have not waxed the Jetta yet as it is only about 3 months old (I heard I should wait about 6 months before waxing...sound right?) I wash the cars usually every Sunday with armorall car wash soap and dry with a regular shammy that should probably be replaced. All waxing is done by hand.

On the inside I usually vacume the insides and armorall them as well.

I am sure I am doing everything wrong, which is why I`m here. I dont mind spending a lot of time working on cleaning the cars, I just dont know the best process. The other problem I have is that neither car can be garaged, so they are always exposed the the elements (worst of all the civic had flood damage over the summer...we had new carpet installed which gave it that new car smell again though.) I cant think of anything else...Any insite would be wonderful!!! Thanks in advance...:D

MENTALLY ILL
10-17-2004, 07:37 PM
check on the door jam for the month of the jetta was made and count 6 months from there. Switch to MF drying towel and you`ll never look back. I also use the California blade to wipe off about 60% of the water. also a MF applicator to apply the wax. you might want to think about a polish to help remove some minor scratchs and swirls. it all depends on the condition of the clear coat. When was the last time you use a clay bar???. I`ll do mine about every six months..my .2 cents

land
10-17-2004, 07:44 PM
well.....actually the whole clay bar thing is new to me. How does it differ from a polish?

MENTALLY ILL
10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
clay bar depends on a lot of thing I.E state/ city/ weather/ mother nature. Just run your hand over the cars paint after you wash it. If it doesn`t feel smooth as glass time to clay. Polish depends on the clear coat and how sharp you want it to look....Sorry clay will remove particals out the clear coat while polish will help remove swirls and scratches

land
10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
ahhhh....makes sense...I`ll bet the civic needs it. They both go through hell being outside all the time. Thanks!

texas328ci
10-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by land

I wash the cars usually every Sunday with armorall car wash soap and dry with a regular shammy that should probably be replaced.

I also was using a Chamois to dry. When I found Autopia, I switched to Sonus Der Wunder WW blue drying towels, and I`ll never go back! Saves a lot of time and effort, and it seems to be even easier on the finish than Chamois. I also use the Water Blade just before drying, and I can do the entire car with just one WW towel.

I`d also agree with Mentally ILL on the clay. I picked up some sonus clay, and Wow! :xyxthumbs It made a huge difference. If you really want to step it up, consider a light polishing to remove minor swirls and oxidation. Then follow up with Klasse AIO and your favorite sealant. If you use a sealant that can layer, do a few layers. Then you could even finish it off with a topper.

On the interior, check out David B`s e-book if you haven`t already. There is some great info on techniques and products you can use to keep your interior looking / smelling great! The forum members here seem to like the 1z Cockpit Premium quite a bit.

I`m going to try 303 Aerospace Protectant b/c I`ve read good things about it on here.

Welcome to Autopia!:wavey

scottlee
10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
i thought the waiting 6 months was a myth for a new car since the finish is baked at the factory, do know 4-6 weeks for a repaint but i thought a new car was good to be waxed pronto.

am i mistaken :confused:

lcd9
10-17-2004, 09:44 PM
i thought the waiting 6 months was a myth for a new car since the finish is baked at the factory, do know 4-6 weeks for a repaint but i thought a new car was good to be waxed pronto.

Yes, that is absolutely correct. This has been covered many times. Only aftermarket paint jobs need the "cure" time. Wax away. Oh, and definitely clay both cars. New cars pick up all kinds of garbage during shipping ans sitting on the lot.

land
10-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks for everyones help...! I putting a list together for next weekend:D

togwt
10-18-2004, 08:08 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

If I could suggest an addition to your ‘shopping list’, a copy of the Autopia e-detailing book, and it will not increase your check-out costs as it free…

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 08:08 AM
The Autopia book is a great source of information :xyxthumbs

Clay is one of those products which can make a big difference to the slickness of paint.

Dont get to focused on the brands or products, most of the differences are down to personal preference. Take your time to read about your chosen products and focus on getting your technique right - everything else is easy

D3mon
10-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I see Alex has some grey-colored clay bars over on seriousperfomance... they are individually wrapped 100g bars I think, not sure about the brand though, might they be 3M?

Lowejackson
10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
I think Alex sells Clearkote clay