PDA

View Full Version : 4 Week Test: Optimum Liquid Sealer/Pics

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony O.
10-17-2004, 06:27 PM
So is it just hype or is it real?

Well I have had it on several cars now but I have always used it AFTER a wax or polymer. It does enhance the overall appearance of the car but can it really be used as a stand alone protector?

I have been using a Porsche Carrera C4S as my tester. It is not a daily driver but it gets driven several days a week and it is washed weekly. Also been through a few rain storms in the past 4 weeks.

I polished the paint and skipped my sealer stage, usually FMJ, and with fear and dread applied ONLY the Opt. Each visit it was washed, dried and then a light misting of Opt was applied to all painted surfaces, windows and wheels. 4 Weeks later and the paint is in great condition. Water beads like a carnauba wax had been applied, it leaves the slickness of a polymer sealant, much like FMJ or WG (believe it or not) and it worked great on the glass and wheels.

The smell factor is reminiscent of coconut oil and beach, very yummy!

Perhaps the only drawback to this product that I have found is that it dries faster than your regular QD. So while in the past I could spray down one whole side of a wet car (still some water left after washing and blow drying) with Clear Pearl and then wipe it down it is best to do only a panel at a time with the Opt.

Also over applying the product may result in unwanted smears. A little goes a very long way. I have applied Opt in direct sunlight, no adverse effects. Applied on hot humid days also with no adverse effects. It does not stain trim or moldings but can actually be used to give some plastics and trim a quick gloss.

I do now believe, after these 4 weeks, that Optimum Car Wax can be used as a stand alone sealer. I am sending some to ScottWax tomorrow for him to try out also as he loves to put things to the test.

I have also been using Optimums water-based tire dressing, which is almost more like a liquid "gel". It works great also, very happy with this product. I am told it is best applied with an air compressor and air gun, which I should try this week sometime. I`ll post back on that as I try it. It works well on wheel wells and since it`s water-based can also be used on engines. It contains no VOC`s (nor does the Opt Car Wax) and is rubber friendly. So far I have experienced little to no sling off.

Optimum will be a name to watch in the future. I had my doubts at first but now I love their products, especially their un-released "polish" (should be ready to ship in November) and I have also been sent by David an APC and also a interior water-based dressing to test out. I will post up my results with these products as well. I shall provide links to two places selling the Optimum line of products very soon.

OK, now on to some pictures. This is week 4 of the Porsche tester.

Thank You,

Anthony

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/5386OptCarrera-med.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/5386OptC4S-med.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/5386OptAngle-med.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/5386CarreraC4top-med.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/5386C4SOptimum-med.jpg

Bill D
10-17-2004, 06:45 PM
WOW BRAVO Anthony! :xyxthumbs

Hmm. This QD-sealant sounds wonderful, but does it have any cleaning properties as many standard QDs do?

Also, perhaps to get around the potential smearing, maybe it can be applied by spraying it in a cooking oil pump sprayer bottle. This is how I solved my issue with Final Detail sometimes getting blotchy on me. If this product can clean in the way some QDs we already use, I`m highly persuaded to give a shot next year I guess. Otherwise, sounds like a QD-sealant best reserved for immediately after a wash like WAUD.

The tire gel sounds highly interesting but can DIYers get the same result by hand without an air gun?

I`ll definitely keep my eye on Optimum for `05. Hope David strongly consideres starting a forum here :up

Woob
10-17-2004, 06:55 PM
http://www.optimumcarcare.com

Anthony is that the site? David seems to have a very large base for detail products by the looks of it.

Anthony O.
10-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

WOW BRAVO Anthony! :xyxthumbs

Hmm. This QD-sealant sounds wonderful, but does it have any cleaning properties as many standard QDs do?

Also, perhaps to get around the potential smearing, maybe it can be applied by spraying it in a cooking oil pump sprayer bottle. This is how I solved my issue with Final Detail sometimes getting blotchy on me. If this product can clean in the way some QDs we already use, I`m highly persuaded to give a shot next year I guess. Otherwise, sounds like a QD-sealant best reserved for immediately after a wash like WAUD.

The tire gel sounds highly interesting but can DIYers get the same result by hand without an air gun?

I`ll definitely keep my eye on Optimum for `05. Hope David strongly consideres starting a forum here :up

hey Bill,

There are NO cleaning properties in the Opt. I mean it will remove water spots and such but it will not remove wax or a sealant. David in fact told me that Opt can actually be "layered".

The tire dressing works well with just a bottle sprayer but I am told by David that less is used if done with an air gun.

I am thinking of using an air sprayer, you know like the ones used by gardners? They hold like a quart of product and have a small hand pump to fill the canister with air and then released with a trigger.

The Opt can be used just like a QD, to remove smudges, fingerprints and dust and can also be used to completley seal the paint.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony O.
10-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by SilvaBimma

http://www.optimumcarcare.com

Anthony is that the site? David seems to have a very large base for detail products by the looks of it.

Yes, that`s it.

David would rather be in the background developing products than post on a forum as he feels it may come across as him pushing products. He feels if a few detailers use his products that they will let others know. I respect that BUT if there is anything to "tech" for me I will be sure to ask David.

I am trying to talk him into developing a window polish and maybe a window cleaner:xyxthumbs

Anthony

CTDiesel
10-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Is this QD-sealant the Optimum Car Wax listed on the website? If it is, it looks like it is available now.?

Anthony O.
10-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ram

Is this QD-sealant the Optimum Car Wax listed on the website? If it is, it looks like it is available now.?

Yes....the car wax is for sale now, but the polish and the APC are not yet for sale.

I will post two links where you can order the car wax (as soon as I get one more) as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Anthony

CTDiesel
10-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Is the paint polish required to obtain the best results with the QD-sealant, or can FPII be used in place of the Optimum paint polish without sacrificing durability or appearance?

Have you tried the QD-sealant on black or other dark color?

Thanks!

jvcn
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
There is a comparison on the detailsbyalisa site which looks at Meguiar`s plus terry towel vs. Optimum with MF towel.

Isn`t this stacking the deck against Megs? The Terry vs MF comparison looks like the Megs/Terry vs Optimum/MF comparo.

I get suspicious with loaded comparisons.

AMP01
10-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Anthony,

How does the appearance compare to AIO/SG or EX-P? Is it really wipe on wipe off? I can`t tell from the pics but how is the depth and wetness factor for the Optimum?

Thanks for the great informative review! :xyxthumbs

Cheers,

Bill D
10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
I don`t know if this adds to the credibility of the product but here are articles that seem to address that topic that were published in the journals of the trade

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/publishedarticles.html

Anthony O.
10-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by ram

Is the paint polish required to obtain the best results with the QD-sealant, or can FPII be used in place of the Optimum paint polish without sacrificing durability or appearance?

Have you tried the QD-sealant on black or other dark color?

Thanks!

I have used AIO, FP, FMJ, VM and Fine Finish as base products for the Opt.

The Optimum Polish is not needed in the sense that it will enhance the over all look and feel.

Originally posted by jvcn

There is a comparison on the detailsbyalisa site which looks at Meguiar`s plus terry towel vs. Optimum with MF towel.

Isn`t this stacking the deck against Megs? The Terry vs MF comparison looks like the Megs/Terry vs Optimum/MF comparo.

I get suspicious with loaded comparisons.

On this I have no idea because I have never read the comparison. It "seems" to be comparing apples and oranges but as I said I have not read it nor have I ever used the Meguiar towel in question. It could be that since Meguiar is such a well known name that their towels were chosen for the comparison:nixweiss

Originally posted by AMP01

Anthony,

How does the appearance compare to AIO/SG or EX-P? Is it really wipe on wipe off? I can`t tell from the pics but how is the depth and wetness factor for the Optimum?

Thanks for the great informative review! :xyxthumbs

Cheers,

Yes, it is truly wipe on and wipe off. As I noted you do not want it to dry on the surface. My use of the product consists of 2 MF`s, one I spray lightly with the Opt and I then spray a panel. With the sprayed MF I then begin to rub and buff the Opt. Flip that towel and buff dry and then use the dry MF to continue buffing.

The OPt can also be applied with a PC or Cyclo and a finishing pad:xyxthumbs

As far as appearance, depth and gloss wise, Opt produces depth and gloss on the level of the finer carnauba waxes. I really didn`t believe it at first either but it leaves a great shine. I will post up some pictures of it on a black car (or red) as soon as one comes my way.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony O.
10-18-2004, 06:52 AM
For the technical issues/questions, it would be great if David himself could reply. I will try and call him today and see if that might be possible.

Yes one can get great results on a silver car with just a wash and some WAUD but my review was mainly on the products application and results of that application. As noted in my review Opt Car Wax is vastly different from WAUD in that it does not have a set up time (no hazing to remove) and it contains UV blockers (two forms of UV blockers if I am not mistaken), it is solvent and VOC`s free and it may even outlast WAUD.

As also noted in my previous reply, I will try and round up a black or red car, clean it, polish it and then only apply the Opt.

Take care,

Anthony

maecrispy
10-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Anthony,

Any thoughts on the slickness of the product? How does it compare to, say, UPP or Wolfgang`s slickeness? Does the slickness last very long or is it mostly shot after a week?

Also, how much product do you estimate you use per avg. size car? Is it on the order of 0.5 - 1.0 oz like normal sealants (at least that`s what it is for me)?

And one more question: you said that you put it on windows. Any smearing issues if the user uses wiper blades when raining?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Edit: oops, missed the slickness part of the review. Sorry!

imported_CincyDave
10-18-2004, 09:49 AM
I didn`t realize WAUD was supposed to haze up before removing. I have just sprayed on wet car and dried immediately. Am I using it wrong?