PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking about swirl marks...

Pages : [1] 2

Corey Bit Spank
10-17-2004, 05:00 PM
And the causes. And while I do know...KNOW...that dirt and grime and poor washing and drying can create them, the inevitable swirl marks happen on the best kept cars.

So, it`s making me wonder, do swirl marks occur more due to the enviroment? Changes in hot and cold (seasonal, night/daytime, a hot car that gets washed, dried, and then the paint heated up again under the sun).

Swirl marks just seem to be too uniform to all be created by human.

I apologize if this is a repost :(

Wasatch
10-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Something else to add. If swirls marks are cause by improper washing and drying, why are they always circular in nature, even though I wipe back and forth?

MongooseGA
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

Something else to add. If swirls marks are cause by improper washing and drying, why are they always circular in nature, even though I wipe back and forth?

I was going to post a thread today on this exact same question.

Robb
10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Very interesting questions, i have wondered the same, i use the back and forth method w/ everything that i apply and yet i sometimes get light swirling in someplaces. I also had a thought while driving recently, do leaves cause light scratches that can lead to swirlmarks, i was driving through a tree lined raod and leaved were falling on my car, it upset me, and then i thought about the swirls and how if u even drive ur car its more than likely swirls are happening by things out of our control, then i thought, what does brake dust do? Would the blowing of brake dust by the wind grind against the paint causing very microscopic marring of the paint?Oh, so much to worry about.

vdog0531
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
yes, i have always wondered how swirl marks are so uniformed. i hope someone can answer this.

Vernon

Eclipse Detail
10-17-2004, 06:24 PM
From what I can tell, and I`m talking about close inspection of paint surfaces with a microscope and other detailed imaging equipment, the "swirl" effect seems to be caused by all types of scratches.

In almost all cases I could see a cross hatch lattice of micro scratches, sometimes with a bias in one direction, i.e. in the direction most people wipe the paint when washing.

It took a little research in the effect of light reflection to figure out why we see circular marks instead of the cross hatch I could see under the microscope. It sort or works like this. The light is coming from a single point source, and it enhances the look of scratches that are perpendicular to the direction of the light. This means that we can see only the scratches perpendicular to the single point light source, and only the section of the scratch that is perpendicular. Which adds up to many straight scratches been highlighted just in the area that is perpendicular, which together look like a circular swirl mark.

The density of these scratches will effect the density of the swirl marks we can see.

I`ll do a couple of pictures up to demonstrate as I think my explanation is a little fussy.

Greg

Eclipse Detail
10-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Here`s a couple of images to help explain what I mean.

A rough representation of many straight scratches.

http://www.eclipsedetailing.com.au/Promotion/MakeupOfSwirlMarks/Magnified-Scratches.jpg

And now with the light source added (background colour changed to make it easier) and the areas highlighted are the parts of the scratches that would now be visible to the naked eye.

http://www.eclipsedetailing.com.au/Promotion/MakeupOfSwirlMarks/Magnified-Scratches-Highlighted-Black.jpg

Obviously I have only been able to put in a limited number of lines to represent the scratches and in real life there would be many more in many different orientations, which make the swirl look more rounded than my images. As I said before it`s only a rough representation but I hope this helps with the explanation.

Greg.

White95Max
10-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Wow. Well done with the drawings!

Nicky Pass
10-17-2004, 09:17 PM
I think its just the natural texture of the metal......even if its covered with primer, paint and clear.

Rob Tomlin
10-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Very cool diagram EclipseDetail.

Thanks!

vdog0531
10-18-2004, 12:39 AM
EclipseDetail.. nice diagram.

Vernon

splattj
10-18-2004, 06:30 AM
I always figured they were caused by dust/dirt/particulates essentially eroding the finish on the car when driving. I also figured that the vortices that form on the cars surface when driving it were why they were swirly. Just a theory...

Accumulator
10-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I dunno about the swirls being inevitable...I kept the S8 *totally* marring free for over two years, and that`s driving it year-round. The only time it *ever* got any marring was after/during the "deer incident" repairs. But it took incredibly diligent/meticulous wash/dry/etc. regimens to keep it that way and I couldn`t have done it without a spotlessly clean garage either. It`s just a lot easier to mar paint than most people can ever imagine or should I say, a lot harder to avoid it...

I`ve seen plenty of cars with perfectly straight marring, or at least it was straight when I looked at it under controlled conditions. I`d say EclipseDetail has the right idea about why the marring often appears circular even on cars that don`t get circular motions used on them. But most of the time, people do use circular motions.

jimmybuffit
10-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I`m not sure abot the marring, but your wonderful drawing is reminiscent of Van Gogh`s "Starry Night":

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/p_0612.htm

and the surface of most cars I see!

imported_agentf1
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I wonder how we get what looks like millions of pin holes or pores on older paint. Is it from the water beading and acting like thousands of magnifying glasses putting minute holes in our paint or just from being sand blasted going down the road or something in thew environment eating away at our paint. Do you know what I am talking about, it can usually be seen real good on black.