PDA

View Full Version : excuse my ignorance...

baveux
10-17-2004, 12:51 PM
what is the difference between a polishing bonnet and a buffing bonnet !!!

Robb
10-17-2004, 12:58 PM
If you are refferring to buffing v polishing pad? then the difference would be that a buffing pad is usually more aggressive than the polishing pad. The buffign pad is usually yellow depending on what brand of pad and the polishing is usually white, again depending on what brand of pad you are using. Hope this helps

baveux
10-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks Robb,

I received as a gift and seldom used a craftsman orbital buffer ( looks like a 10 " WEN ) from Sears many years ago. I never really used it .

Was included in the box:

1 foam pad ( wax applicator ??? )

2 terry cloth bonnet ) polishing bonnet ??

1 looks like wool bonnet ( buffing bonnet ?????)

I am far from being an obssesed detailer and I have no intention to became one ;-)

I wax once or twice a year and only if there is enough beer around... I almost forgot about the polisher until I started to read the forum here and I decided to put it to work, but I am not sure which bonnet and how to get the most out of it.

Remember , I am far from being a maniac !!! I just want to find a reason to go out have a beer and to use this machine

Thanks for taking me out of the dark...

Robb
10-17-2004, 01:34 PM
If all you are wanting to do is wax the vehicle, i would use the foam pad and apply wax with that. That buffer is not really powerful enough to need the terry and wool buffing pads as it does not generate enough heat to actually remove defects in the paint, but thats another topic :). So to answer your question, put the foam pad on, apply wax to pad, apply to vehicle and use a 100% terry cloth towel or more preferable microfiber towel to remove excess wax. I hope that answers your question.

baveux
10-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Robb, thanks , and I will make a slipper from the wool bonnet !!!

or maybe a tuque, winters coming you know !

Robb
10-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I know this is way off topic, but you like beer, as do i. I was wondering if you could reccomend a good pumpkin beer for this time of year? Ive never tried one, but they do sound somewhat tasty. Thanks

baveux
10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Robb, I can`t help with pumpkin beer !!!

But if you want to feel like a pumpkin get some " La fin du monde" from Unibroue based in Quebec Canada.

You drink 6 like that and even George Busk will look sexy and attractive !!!

Big Leegr
10-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Just to add a little, since you`re talking about ROB`s as opposed to DA buffers, and bonnets as opposed to pads, the "wool" (simulated) is for "buffing" the wax after you`ve removed the haze. It`s intended to bring up a dazzling, rich, wet, blah, blah, blah look to the paint. Most "modern" synthetic waxes, especially ones found at `Marts don`t require buffing, so the wool bonnet is pointless (unless you didn`t get everything off-streaks/smears- and felt that you liked using the buffer ever so much). Or maybe if you were using a "pure" carnauba wax. One caveat is that the synthetic wool *may* cause swirls, depending on quality etc.

If you were to look at the replacement bonnets at the store, Terry is considered the "best" for both applying AND removing wax, whereas the foam is only listed as "better."

Personaly I would go with the foam, as it`s safer (IMO) in that it`s less likely to cause swirls. The terry might work on oxidation faster, though.

Of course, you could use the excuse of "your hands are shakey/numb from all that machine work" to require more rest time. And beer might calm your nerves, soothe the aches, cool your fevered brow, etc. !

baveux
10-18-2004, 03:32 AM
Big Leegr I really like this part of your post !!!

<<<Of course, you could use the excuse of "your hands are shakey/numb from all that machine work" to require more rest time>>>

Not that the first part was not interesting but it`s always good to have new idea !!!