PDA

View Full Version : Tire question - warning, newbie inside

KAs
10-31-2004, 02:36 PM
I feel a bit sheepish asking this, but I really don`t get the details (no pun, promise. I wouldn`t do that to you all). What is the goal of dressing tires? I know they`d look like garbage, the whole car shiny with grotty tires....I understand some like shine, some matte, and it`s to clean, etc...but after reading through a zillion tire posts I`m a bit confused. Regardless of finish, is the bottom line trying to make the tires black again? If so, how black? Is this a jet black or a dark charcoal black?

Answers may lead to other not-so-educated questions I warn you, but thanks for any help in advance.

Eliot Ness
10-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes, the goal is to protect the tires and give them a black look. How black (glossy or matte) depends on personal taste. Some tire dressings are glossier than others, some achieve more gloss by additional applications, and some are buffed off to make them less glossy.

If you read through the forums here you`ll find plenty of reviews and opinions on tire dressings.

TW85
10-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Depends on what YOU prefer. If a flat black is desired, then just cleaning them with a tire and wheel cleaner is sufficient. If you want a matte look, I like Meguiar`s High Endurance or 303 Aerospace. For glossy, I like 303 and Meg`s High Endurance HIgh Gloss.

KAs
10-31-2004, 06:11 PM
I didn`t make myself clear - apologies. I did read many reviews and search, however most of them deal with the finish, i.e. shine to matte, not actual desired tire color.

I come from a restoration perspective. I fix up older cars, so have a lot of experience with dye on different surfaces. I use a water based with a foam applicator bottle and apply a clear conditioner for sheen/protection as needed.

I`d simply dye tires to black since I like matte. It would take 10 minutes. No "sling", lasts forever, no buffing, is very inexpensive, doesn`t smear or come off in the rain...BUT wouldn`t a true jet black tire be too black? I don`t know what the desired color for tires is.

rollman
10-31-2004, 06:55 PM
It all comes down to what look you like most . Its that simple .