PDA

View Full Version : wetting pads

Pages : [1] 2

toyota2
10-15-2004, 06:38 PM
I just recieved my pc and sonus pads today and cant wait to use them. My question is should I dampen the pads first or do you just use them dry. I know before I have dampend pads when I hand polish and wax.

Using the pc is going to be new to me and I dont want to mess anythin up my first time out.

Have a good one!

Shawn

oaevo8u
10-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I just ordered mine as well less than a hour ago, im a little nervous as well.

Eliot Ness
10-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by toyota2

I just recieved my pc and sonus pads today and cant wait to use them. My question is should I dampen the pads first or do you just use them dry. I know before I have dampend pads when I hand polish and wax......

I keep a spray bottle filled with distilled water and lightly spritz (mist) a pad before polishing, this helps to “season†the pad. Some users substitute a QD (quick detailer) for water.

As you use polish, if your pad becomes caked with product clean it by setting your PC speed on 1 and lightly run a soft brush over the pad.

You`ll love using the PC vs doing it by hand :xyxthumbs

Alfisti
10-16-2004, 02:50 AM
I also keep some older terry towels to remove product build-up on the pads. I don`t like to use a brush as it can damage the pad surface. I simply wipe the pad from centre to edge with a towel, working around the pad (PC off, of course). It really soaks up excess product, especially from the centre where it builds up.

Since the pad is now moist (even after cleaning with towel) it requires no more QD...just squeeze more product onto the surface. Be careful not to apply too much...after the first application of product, the next application requires alot less...maybe half the original.

toyota2
10-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the replys now if the weather would just clear up enough for me to to try this thing out.

Again thanks

Shawn

:xyxthumbs

percynjpn
10-16-2004, 07:59 AM
I always dampen the pads; as they`re foam they`ll dry out quicker than any cotton pads you`ve used by hand, so you`ll need to wet them regularly.

Mark Bennett
11-12-2004, 06:44 AM
I was going to ask the same question but found this thread on a search...

My follow up question is this though - I was thinking of using Poorboys Spray and Wipe, as it is available over here in the UK at a "reasonable" cost. Is this suitable?

Would it be the right stuff to use to clean down the paintwork between the different grades of polishing? It says it has no wax etc, so it looks ok to me, but I`ve never tried it (or using the PC!) so if anyone can advise, confirm, or caution using this I`d be gratefull!

Thanks!

Mark

Accumulator
11-12-2004, 08:36 AM
OK, I`ll be the other side of the coin on this one. I virtually *never* dampen my PC/Cyclo pads. I just apply product, *uniformly*, on the pad before I use it. The only time I dampen a PC/Cyclo pad is when I`m gonna use something that calls for a damp pad, like AIO.

I will hit the *rotary`s* pads with some #34 though.

Oh, and my "spit-shine waxing by Cyclo" is another story :D

Mark Bennett
11-12-2004, 09:04 AM
LOL!

Thanks! ;)

OK, to clarify I`ve got some 3M polishing stuff (can`t remember the exact type, but pretty agressive I guess), and 3m Imperial Machine Glaze which I was intending to use.

The car has Zaino on it (about 3 coats of Z5, and 3 of Z2) which is a year or so old, and covered in tiny stone chips from a track day incident (spun into the gravel). I`m not sure howm much damage is to the zaino, and how much is the clearcoat...

I`ve used Langka on the bigger chips (a few big ones exposed the primer).

I`m still interested in whether this Spray and Wipe would be suitable for wiping any polishing dust off between grades, even if I go the "non-wet" way with the product and the pads.

Eliot Ness
11-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Mark Bennett

.......I`m still interested in whether this Spray and Wipe would be suitable for wiping any polishing dust off between grades, even if I go the "non-wet" way with the product and the pads.

Here is a quote from Steve (Poorboy`s) about S & W:

"As for pre-application of another layer of sealant or wax, Spray and Wipe is the perfect product, as it leaves no residue or gloss enhancers behind to interfere with bonding."

So yes itÃâ‚â„s safe to use. Whether itÃâ‚â„s economical versus using something else will have to be your call. I did read in a recent thread that someone uses a CCD to remove polishing dust. After I get my new OXO car duster I may regulate my old CCD to that task if it seems suitable.

Mark Bennett
11-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks John!

Perfect:)

stevet
11-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Unless I missed it, I don`t think anybody mentioned that wetting your pad will increase the cut you get from it and the product. Just something to keep in mind.

Intercooled
11-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Great thread,I have a related question:

I`ve seen a tool that you use to clean the pad. It looks like a little pizza cuter with multiple wheels on it. ( Many of you know what I`m talking about) Anyone have any experience with this and is it any good?

Accumulator
11-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Intercooled- that`s called a "spur". I used one on wool pads back in the day but I have never used on one a foam pad.

When I need to use something on a foam pad, I use a brush- toothbrush or a toothbrush-type brush with stiffer bristles. Seems to work fine.

Eliot Ness
11-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Intercooled

Great thread,I have a related question:

I`ve seen a tool that you use to clean the pad. It looks like a little pizza cuter with multiple wheels on it. ( Many of you know what I`m talking about) Anyone have any experience with this and is it any good?

Are you talking about something like this:

http://store.yahoo.com/tolae/detail-pad-cleaning-spur.html

If so, there was a thread a while back where Bill D (I think) mentioned he had one. When I asked if it was better than a soft brush he said it was about the same, so I crossed it off my list and just stuck with a brush to "spur" my pads.