PDA

View Full Version : 3m rubbing compound

pocon1
10-15-2004, 06:32 PM
I have a bottle of rubbing compound, professional formula (part # 03900) made by 3M. The back claims to "safely and effectively removes grade 1500 or finer sanding scratches, medium oxidation, coarse swirl marks or water marks, and leaves a fine finish." What is this equivalent to? SSR 2.5? something else? I would like to use them on a volvo and an audi that have sat outside in washington dc for several years, with no protection. Just paint, sun, rain, birdpoop, snow, ice, falling branches, kids, etc...

I assume I would have to follow with something less aggressive, like megs #9.

jr weeks
10-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes, you`ll need to follow up with a fine polish for optimum results. I have followed that product with 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material, or 3M Machine Glaze on different occasions, with excellent results. You* could* probably get away with the rubbing compound alone on a white or light colored car but...y`know the swirls and slight hazing are still there, you just can`t see them as redily as on a dark color.

The Meg`s #9 is pretty fine, maybe too big a gap in abrasiveness for me, but it will likely work alright if you work the #9 enough.

The 2 products I mentioned are filler free and slightly more aggressive at removing the R/C haze and micro marring. I have actually used #9 as a 3d step AFTER the Machine Glaze, on dark colors. Just for that final touch.

Hope this helps, Cheers. :)

Bill D
10-15-2004, 08:09 PM
If you finish with #9 be cautious using a sealant as a last step product, there could be bonding issues.

pocon1
10-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the responses, would it make less marring and make it easier for the megs #9 if I used the sonus green pad for the RC instead of the orange pad?

As far as #9 and sealant, I did not notice any bonding issues with my white integra #9, followed by AIO and three coats of SG. Prehaps the AIO removed any oils that might be in the #9?

The reason I am using these products is I have already purchased them and would like to get some use out of them rather than chasing after the Next Big Thing. I also have a bottle of Sonus Paintwork Cleanser (came with the PC), but I gather that won`t touch compound hazing.

Bill D
10-15-2004, 08:26 PM
The AIO removed the fillers in #9, not sure if other sealants might not bond.