PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage Car Cover??

wvs16
10-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately, I`ll soon be storing my car for a Rhode Island winter. What is the concensus on using a car cover?

I`ll will be storing it in an insulated attached garage (doesn`t get much below 60 degrees). I was going to get a Dustop Covercraft indoor cover to keep it free from dust. Not worried about protecting against dings.

My question is...Is it better for the car to:

A. Have it covered to protect it from dust

B. Keep it uncovered so the paint can "breathe" and not worry about dust as it will be washed off anyway in the spring? My garage is very clean so there isn`t excessive dust as would be in a work type garage.

Thanks for your help..By the way if anyone is interested, the best deal on a Covercraft dustop cover I found was at autosupermart.com ($137.00 including shipping). Most other places were $155-$200.

Thanks for your help.

Bill D
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
In the winter my Sunday driver stays covered and zipped closed in a Car Bag :D. Just add dessicant bags inside :up

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-15-2004, 05:28 PM
I would go with the indoor cover to protect your car from dust. Not that dust is a real hazard, it`s just that when you take the cover off in the spring, your car won`t require very much clean-up. The indoor cover I`ve got for my `69 Corvette has a flannel lining. That`s something that`s important when it comes to indoor covers. I`d also suggest leaving the windows down too. That will allow the interior to get some air during storage.

wvs16
10-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess I`ll get the cover. Any other pointers about storage?

Do you disconnect the battery?

How about the wheels? I`ve had a few people tell me it is very bad to leave the wheels in one position for a long time. But I`m not able to put the car on blocks. Someone else said they have mats that mitigate this problem. Is it a problem? Any input appreciated.

Bill D
10-16-2004, 08:29 AM
I disconnect the battery. I also have a set of tire cradles http://www.tirecradle.com Many simply put the car on jack stands or even simply overinflate the tires a bit and come out fine in the spring.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-16-2004, 08:50 AM
It`s a good idea to disconnect the battery. That way you can be sure that there won`t be any unexpected electrical problems that could drain the battery while the car is in storage. I also like to overinflate the tires up to about 35 lbs. of pressure.