PDA

View Full Version : Difference between #80, #82, and #9

redfish
10-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Could anyone tell me the difference between these products? They all seem very similar. The store where I buy Meguiar`s is out of the #80 and only has #82 and #9. I tried searching the forums, but the numbers are under the required search size :(

I want to use it on a 2001 Bright Red Chevy truck that has minor fine scratches (like from bad towels).

TIA

flip2jetta
10-15-2004, 06:29 PM
I`m still kinda new here but I`ll give you my take on em. 80 is the most aggressive of the three being rated as a 4 on meguiars aggressiveness scale. 82 and 9 nine are both rated at 3 but to me it seems that 82 is a tab bit more abbrasive. On the meguiars site it`s mentioned that 80 and 9 both contain cleaners but there`s no mention of there being any in 82. Of the three 80 seems to leave a glossier look but they are all good products imho. Hope that helps man.

imported_NHBFAN
10-15-2004, 06:58 PM
From my experience, if they put all 3 in unmarked bottles I`d be hard pressed to distinguish one from another. They are all very good polishes.

redfish
10-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Reading the information from Meguiar`s doesn`t clearly identify the difference between the various products either.

I tried the #80 on a panel today... but there are still minor cobweb type scratches, so I might try on of the other products tomorrow.

Eliot Ness
10-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by redfish

.....I tried the #80 on a panel today... but there are still minor cobweb type scratches, so I might try on of the other products tomorrow.

#80 is the most agressive of the three that you have. #9 may hide more because I believe it has more fillers. You can try a few more passes with #80 or to remove your defects you may have to step up to DACP (#83).

hirosh
10-16-2004, 03:47 AM

I tried the #80 on a panel today... but there are still minor cobweb type scratches, so I might try on of the other products tomorrow.

btw, are you doing this by hand or PC? i believe #80 is a tad bit more aggressive than #82, while #9 is the least aggressive and does have fillers. but if you are doing it by hand and are trying to remove light spiderwebs, it is possible to remove them, it just takes a lot of work.

redfish
10-16-2004, 09:15 AM
I`m using a PC.

Eliot Ness
10-16-2004, 09:42 AM

I`m using a PC.

#80 breaks down fairly quickly, much faster than DACP (#83) so it will do most of its cutting very early on, then it breaks down into more-or-less a non-abrasive polish and leaves a nice shine. Work #80 until it changes color, it will usually turn clear (sometimes pink), then buff it off.

You can try #9, but if it appears to hide more just be aware that it may be a temporary fix because #9 does have more fillers than the others. You can verify that by wiping the paint down with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water.

Like I mentioned earlier, #80 is the strongest (most abrasive) product of the three, so if you aren`t getting the results you`re looking for you should try at least 3 or 4 applications and then step up to something more abrasive like #83 (if you want to stick with a Megs product) if needed.