PDA

View Full Version : MF`s release dirt?

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi, just wondering how does the MF release all the dirt it picked up when you wash it? :nixweiss

oaevo8u
10-15-2004, 01:37 AM
I would assume aggitation

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 01:43 AM
but wouldnt they grab the floating debri in the water again??

oaevo8u
10-15-2004, 01:54 AM
good point, I guess the final rinse would take care of that

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 06:29 AM
this is getting interesting ;).... but wouldnt the floating debri in the center of the washer be driven back "into" the MFs as they cling to the outter edge of the tub as it spins? Wouldnt the water and loose debri be filtering back through the MF`s as the water travels out ? Washing machine theory 101 ,lol

Eliot Ness
10-15-2004, 08:35 AM
A good detergent will emulsify the soils, car wax, etc., and suspend them for removal in the rinse cycle. That’s one reason I use a detergent made for MF’s and run them through at least two rinse cycles.

http://www.autogeek.net/mr16.html

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Ahhh thanks Eliot Ness...
and suspend them for removal in the rinse cycle. ok does this beg the question again since there will be suspended particles that must travel through the MF to exit the washer? In other words if it does retain "some" slight debri,does this mean it will never be "as" clean as it was at first thus resulting in biuld up over time? :xyxthumbs

oaevo8u
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
I prefer to not think that much about such issues for multiple reasons(gray hair,ulcers,break outs, and any other stress related sympton)...LOL...

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
lol...Ive just always had to know these kinda things,peeps always tell me I look into things to much,think I found my hobby!!! Detailing:xyxthumbs

oaevo8u
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
If I look into these things to much ill start getting paranoid and think im damaging something when I use my mf`s, im already anal as it is...lol

NVcobra
10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
lol, Ive heard the "your so anal compliment" a few times to. With that being said..do they mean anal as in the sense of its function,size,odor,purpose? And what was the original thought of the person who came up with the term "anal" ? How was he comparing "anal" to someone whos so detail oreinted? I really dont see the comparison,but have accepted the general meaning of what we assume it implies. Ill stop there, but actually i havent stopped yet,or I wouldnt be writting as of now,which Im not sence I posted this a few secs ago! Thx :xyxthumbs

stiege
10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
I`ve found that I need to treat my mf`s like clay. If I drop on in the driveway, it picks up all sorts of dirt and organic debris. I`ll toss it on the dirty pile and pick up another clean one.

I wash the ones with real "dirt" separately, and sometimes pick out little bits of twigs and stuff in the fabric. The MF fabric is so fine, it even drags across the rough skin on the tips of my fingers and palms.

I NEVER use one to wash... only sheepskin because it releases the dirt instantly in the wash water. MF`s only for wax removal and drying.

Jason

Eliot Ness
10-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by stiege

........I wash the ones with real "dirt" separately, and sometimes pick out little bits of twigs and stuff in the fabric. ......I NEVER use one to wash... only sheepskin because it releases the dirt instantly in the wash water. MF`s only for wax removal and drying.

Yep, common sense is a key factor also. If a MF is really dirty you can presoak it in a bucket to get the bulk of what`s on it off. And I agree that you want to pick as much debris out of them as possible.

Like stiege mentions, MF’s will pick up debris like a magnet if dropped, and if you can’t pick, soak, or hose most of it off it may be time to retire that one rather than contaminate the rest that you wash with it.

Like my shop towels I use for wrenching, if they’re super greasy I`ll usually just toss `em, they`re too cheap to worry about cleaning when they`re that bad.

Same with MF`s, use the cheapo`s from Wal-Mart, Target, Sams, etc. for stuff like doorjambs, wheels, etc, and wash those separately. I wouldn`t want to wash a MF that has grease or a lot of dirt on it with my good polish or drying MF`s.

Some even wash the MF`s they use on glass separately from the MF`s they buff wax/polish off with.