PDA

View Full Version : OK to use car wash after the suds dies?

PAW
10-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I`ve been watching the QEW and other cleaning threads. It appears that suds ain`t what cleans. The suds on my Eagle One Wet shampoo die quickly. Is it OK to continue to wash the car with the non-sudsy water? My guess is yes. The shampoo water (sans suds) should still have the lubrication need to safely clean the car. This question has been bugging me for awhile. Enquiring minds need to know. :o

TW85 HHI
10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, it is okay to use without suds. It is mentally challenging though, LOL.

Bill D
10-13-2004, 11:13 PM
You said it: suds are not what cleans, the solution is.But if the absense of suds really bothers you, agitate or add more soap

Corey Bit Spank
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
why not just spray some more water from the hose in and make more suds? :)

togwt
10-14-2004, 07:21 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

Some old beliefs are hard to let go of, ‘if a little cleans this well, just thing how much better it will become if I use a lot’ or the more suds a soap/detergent produces the cleaner it will be.

The amount of foaming produced has nothing to do with its cleaning efficiency, when laundry was done with soap flakes; suds level was an indicator of cleaning performance. Many people still equate a good rich level of suds with cleaning, however, this is no longer true.

And with car care products ‘less is more’, especially with polymers, ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used (less product easier removal)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

medic159
10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
The suds thing is one of the hardest misconceptions to break. As has been said above, bubbles don`t clean. In fact, the suds in modern detergents are made by a sudsing agent, usually coconut oil. Industrial cleaners have no agent and do not produce any suds at all but clean just as well.

In fact, the oils in sudsing agents will leave a residue and attract dust. A car washed with no sudsing agents will actually stay cleaner, longer!

I have a car shampoo in my product line, it has no sudsing agent added so it hardly suds at all. I use it myself and I still, to this day, can`t get used to using it even though I know it`s working. It`s a VERY strange sensation.

Bill D
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Where does lubrication come into play with the suds/no suds issue? Does no suds still equal ample lubrication?

Accumulator
10-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

why not just spray some more water from the hose in and make more suds? :)

Because you`ll further dilute the wash solution, which will have a far more serious (negative) impact than the lack of suds ;)

Bill D- I`ll defer to whatever DF Towel says, but IMO the suds/lube issues are unrelated, no correlation one way or the other.

Brad B
10-14-2004, 10:53 AM
No suds doesn`t mean less cleaning power but it does hamper the lubrication/lifting of the dirt and grit off the surface of the paint. The bubbles actually take the dirt and lift the dirt off the surface.

Imagine a little piece of debris getting caught on a bubble then riding up on top of it. Then your mitt comes along and swipes it off without the debris touching the surface. This is where long lasting bubbles help out.

Lubrication is much more important with a shampoo that cleaning ability. Who here lets their car get really dirty anyway! Mine looks clean all the time but I always use a mild shampoo for the lubrication it gives my mitt and the lifting ability for the dirt/dust.:xyxthumbs

Bill D
10-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Brad B: Accumulator and I use a foam gun to wash :up

SK2003TypeS
10-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Here`s a good old one about QEW and Surfactants. Look for Scottwax`s post (5th down) on the explaination. :xyxthumbs

This helped me understand and really got me interested in QEW. QEW worked out great last winter and I`m planning on using it again this winter.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28598&perpage=12&highlight=surfactant&pagenumber=1

Lowejackson
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM
It is not the bubbles which lift the dirt, that is the job of the detergent. Its other role is to suspend the dirt in liquid so that it can be rinsed away.

Accumulator
10-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

... Accumulator and I use a foam gun to wash..

Yeah, so it could be that I`m overlooking the possible value (the "dirt-lifting") of the suds because I always have a lot of them.

Anything that keeps the dirt from marring during its journey off the paint is good; that`s the whole point, IMO.

imported_DetailGirl
10-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Brad B: Accumulator and I use a foam gun to wash :up link:wavey

Bill D
10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7418&highlight=foam+gun