PDA

View Full Version : Which pads to use?

Schmohey
10-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Which pad should I use with the DACP? I need something that takes all the scracthes out.

Thanks

Pats300zx
10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I would suggest trying a white polishing pad first. If that doesn`t work you can always move up to the yellow cutting pad.

DACP is pretty abrasive so its better to start with the least aggressive pad first.

Schmohey
10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
What happens if you use the yellow ones?

a.k.a. Patrick
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
You may end up having to use a less abrasive polish afterwards, to help clean up. If you have some #80 on hand, give it a shot with the yellow pad. May be all you need. 83 can be somewhat difficult for a first time user. Doesnt hurt to use a less abrasive product in conjunction with pad, but considering your contemplating 83, 80 may be a good first choice as well.

Schmohey
10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
When you say it`s difficult, what do you mean? Sorry for being a newb.

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Before you folks leave the pad issue and get into a #83 primer, make sure that you are using the same definition of "yellow" pad. Yellow CMA = cutting, yellow Meg`s = polishing.

Bill D
10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Remember also, the CMA pad is a Lake Country ( LC) pad.

Eliot Ness
10-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Before you folks leave the pad issue and get into a #83 primer, make sure that you are using the same definition of "yellow" pad. Yellow CMA = cutting, yellow Meg`s = polishing.

That`s a very good point, here is a partial list of pads by manuf/type:

Cutting:

(LC) Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.: Yellow (more aggressive)

(LC) Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.: Orange (less aggressive)

Meguiar’s: Maroon (not reccommended by Megs for PC)

Sonus: Orange

Polishing:

(LC) Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.: White

Meguiar’s: Yellow

Sonus: Green or Blue (blue = less agressive than green)

Finishing:

(LC) Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.: Grey

Meguiar’s: Tan

Sonus: Grey

Bill D
10-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Hmmm, I`m seeing a bit of similarity between the Sonus and LC,colors only?

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Remember also, the CMA pad is a Lake Country ( LC) pad.

Thanks, Bill...that`s what I meant :o ...and thanks for the good list, Eliot Ness!

BookemDano
10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

That`s a very good point, here is a partial list of pads by manuf/type:

Finishing:

(LC) Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.: Grey

Meguiar’s: Tan

Sonus: Grey

Actually, I believe that Grey pad is the glazing pad and the Red pad is the finishing pad. I have both. The Grey is a nice and soft pad; the Red is soft as butter! I like them both.

I need one pad for Zaino Z5 and a different pad for Zaino Z2. I need more experience applying Zaino to see if I should just continue to use my Grey pad for Zaino Z5 and the Red for Z5, or get another Red pad to apply so that I can apply both in one sitting.

Regards,

Dan.

Eliot Ness
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BookemDano

Actually, I believe that Grey pad is the glazing pad and the Red pad is the finishing pad. I have both. The Grey is a nice and soft pad; the Red is soft as butter! I like them both.......

After reading your post I did a few searches and found the pads you`re referring to. As if we don’t have enough colors to keep up with it appears the pads you are talking about are a new line from LC.

These are 6†pads with a blue foam between the pad and the Velcro, LC calls this a Blue "Constant Pressure" foam backing. The only place I found them was at CMA http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html. They carry the yellow (cutting), white (polishing), black (Glazing/Finessing), and red (finishing) pads.

Those new pads aren’t on my list because I haven’t seen them from the typical places I buy pads. They don’t really add too much new to the mix except the black/red pad, neither of which have any cutting action, but as you mentioned the red sounds very, very, soft.

BookemDano
10-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

They don’t really add too much new to the mix except the black/red pad, neither of which have any cutting action, but as you mentioned the red sounds very, very, soft.

Eliot,

Yep, they don`t have any cutting action. Frankly by the time I need these, I`m applying LSP. I found that applying Zaino Z5+ZFX is easier for me using my PC plus a red pad. The red pad is buttery soft and very nice to work with. It lays down a very even, thin coat of Z5; that makes it very easy to buff out.

I think I`ll buy another red pad so that I can apply Z5 and Z2 in the same day. Since I don`t like to mix product on pads, that seems like the best choice.

I was thinking about the Edge 2000 DA pads, but they don`t look like the regular pads designed for the Rotary. That`s a bummer. Oh, well. For the time being, I`ll stick with LC.

Best regards,

Dan.

maecrispy
10-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by BookemDano

Yep, they don`t have any cutting action. Frankly by the time I need these, I`m applying LSP. I found that applying Zaino Z5+ZFX is easier for me using my PC plus a red pad. The red pad is buttery soft and very nice to work with. It lays down a very even, thin coat of Z5; that makes it very easy to buff out.

Second that.

I usually like to lay down LSP`s by hand, especially Wolfgang and UPP as they`re so easy on/off. However, for some LSP that I have a bit harder time putting on really thin (like EX-P), LC Red on 4-4.5 lays down very thin layers that makes removal a breeze.