PDA

View Full Version : Before & After pics of BMW molding

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony O.
04-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Friday the 18th I started a detail on a red BMW and after the washing I had to spend most of the time repairing the damage done to the car by other detailers, especially the molding. It was filled with wax residue as were the emblems and even the convertible top.

Here is a before pic:

Anthony O.
04-20-2003, 10:11 AM
This is the after picture and it is an amazing difference to the whole of the detail when the trim is clean. There is no dressing applied as I rarely ever dress the molding mainly because if properly cleaned there is no need for a dressing.

I had to use a very stiff nylon brush and some of TOL`s "Deep Down" to remove the wax residue. Dry it well and then look for any remaining residue and repeat it needed.

Here is the after:

Don
04-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Looks good.

I also more often prefer the look of `clean` to that of the fake shine offered by many plastic/vinyl protectants. That`s why until I discovered 303, I never dressed the tires, dashboard etc

Smoker
04-20-2003, 03:28 PM
What if the trim has been neglected and taken on that horrible `grey` appearance ?

I`m guessing no amount of scrubbing (i never even really tried, so I`m not sure) will bring it back to the nice shiny black finish and I have to resort to some type of dressing.

I`ve done quite a few late model trucks and cars that still have pristine trim, and I agree, a good clean is all they need.

Koop
04-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Last summer i did a job for a friend who wanted to save money. He said to JUST BUFF IT. he wasn`t paying me much and i was short on time. I did not have any tape with me or anything at the time either. But he was a friend and he said you could take care of the clean up. So i said sure. The paint looked clean but the moldings on the car looked like crap still. Ususaly i use megs citrigel cleaner and a stiff brush and that works great but it did not do so well on something that had been sitting so long. It cleaned it up a little bit but not great. I looked on tol`s site just now for that pruduct but could not find it. If i can get any tips that would be great for getting it clean the rest of the way. The compound on it is pIII and 3m foaming polishing pad glaze.

Anthony O.
04-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi koop,

Try this link for the Deep Down http://www.topoftheline.com/deepleatvinc.html

You might also try this product for your dilemma http://www.topoftheline.com/bumtrimrec.html

You also might want to try an old detailers trick which is taking your brush and rubbing into your molding some creamy peanut butter. Rub it in until it is all gone and repeat application until the residue is all gone. This trick works pretty well:D

Smoker-

You may also want to try the Forever Black product as well or the peanut butter trick for really faded molding.

Anthony

Koop
04-21-2003, 12:57 AM
thx for the direct link anthony. I will have to give it a shot. Just a reminder to be carefull of posting other sellers links. We do sell forever black here too so it`s direct compotition. I know the admins would not be happy. http://www.premiumautocare.com/foreverblack.html

Beemerboy
04-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Anthony

Nice job I have teh same molding on my beemer. I use a 409 type of product while washing the car with a light brush to get the sax off. Of course this my own car so there is little if any wax buildup.

I have used this method on other cars with good results, but I think that I will try your deep down stuff for jobs that I have coming up.

Smoker
04-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Smoker-

You may also want to try the Forever Black product as well or the peanut butter trick for really faded molding.

Anthony [/B]

Crunchy or Smooth ?

:D

Wheres the best place to find Forever Black ?

Anthony O.
04-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Smoker,

Well it can be found at Top of the Lines web site, I have given the link a few posts up but also according to "koop", Dwayne sells the stuff here also.

Check the store out at Detail City:)

Also I prefer the crunchy on my sandwhich but creamy for detailing:D

Anthony

AutopiaAdmin
04-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Koop
thx for the direct link anthony. I will have to give it a shot. Just a reminder to be carefull of posting other sellers links. We do sell forever black here too so it`s direct compotition. I know the admins would not be happy. http://www.premiumautocare.com/foreverblack.html

I appreciate this Koop but I feel the need to clarify our policy for links.

"As long as it is simply detailers helping other detailers to find ways and products to make detailing easier, we encourage links that make this possible.

Our only concern is that distributors, vendors, and individuals do not see Detail City as a way of direct or indirect advertising for products and or services that are in competition with the sponsor of Detail City."

John Sharp
04-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey Boss,

I can appreciate your needing rules like that. Having a few rules actually makes this an enjoyable place since the pressure is off from salesmen. We all know that your business sponsers this site and yet there is no unwanted presure. Its kind of refreshing! :)

Thanks,
John

wayne
04-21-2003, 10:41 PM
I agree with John..., The pressure sales got old..., REAL FAST(I think we all know and I do not need to mention any names..., LOL!)
This forum is a really nice enviroment and appreciate salesmen getting "the boot" :)
You can`t ask for better service than Dwayne and Premiunautocare.com & 4 Star Products.
IMO, If your service is good, and you sell high quality products, there is no need for BS and "pressure"..., OR scrounging email addresses from web sites and sending spam into your home.
That is why there is no "pressure" here..., it sells itself..., "QUALITY AND SERVICE".
With that winning combo, the customers do the advertising and help make sales.
It has ALWAYS been a pleasure to deal with Dwayne an I will continue to support the "store" and web site as long as it is a "4 star company" (no pun intended:)
Just my .02

Anthony O.
05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
I snapped a few pics the other day of the same M3 BMW where the molding was all waxed stained. It is finished off with Trade Secret.

I like the S100 and the P21S on silver or light metallics but the Trade Secret is my preference for dark colors.

Anthony O.
05-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Notice the molding is still "el natural" and the residue has not re-appeared.