PDA

View Full Version : clean car and car cover question...

kepani
10-13-2004, 12:27 AM
i just washed my car today (moderate detail). but i am afraid to put my car cover on. i`m worried the cover, which has already been put on the car while semi-dirty, will get the paint dusty again.

car cover is a california car cover (stormweave material) and is of high quality.

does anyone here have any experience with this? i know i could wash the cover, but it`s only a month old - i wouldn`t think it would make much sense to wash your car cover THAT often.

thanks!

kepani

Bill D
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Doesn`t it come with wash instructions? Typically those kinds of covers need to be washed in an industrial laundrymat washer. If you wash it just engange in your qding/de-dusting ritual everytime before you cover again :up

kepani
10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

Doesn`t it come with wash instructions? Typically those kinds of covers need to be washed in an industrial laundrymat washer. If you wash it just engange in your qding/de-dusting ritual everytime before you cover again :up

as for the cover, it does have instructions. yeah, it tells you to wash it in a large industrial-type washer. got that covered. :up

however, i`m asking more on whether the cover (it`s not soiled AT ALL), which definitely has dust on it from previous coverings, will ruin all your detailing work. reason i am concerned is that after a week or two, the dust gets "smeared" and "patted" on the paint. it washes off no problem.

kepani

chml17l
10-13-2004, 10:02 AM
I previously had a Kimberly Clark Evolution 3 cover for my Toyota MR2 turbo and I understand your dusting question. It is a pain to have to take the cover to an industrial washer often when it is merely dust contaminated and not soiled. I used to hang the cover on a clothes line and spray it inside and out with a hose sprayer. Then let it drip dry.

togwt
10-13-2004, 12:08 PM
~One mans opinion / observations~

This is what I do (although I have the luxury of plenty of sun heat to dry it)

テすUse a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt

テすGently rinse cover with clean water

テすWash with a 5:1 clean water / Woolite solution, using a soft brush to loosen any stubborn dirt

テす(Do not scrub surface (see Spots and Stains)

テすThoroughly rinse with clean water to remove soap solution

テすAllow air-drying

テすApply 303TM High Tech Fabric Guard by spraying from approximately 6-inch above the surface with a side-to-side motion, dampen but do not saturate.

テすTwo applications will ensure complete coverage, allow air-drying between applications.

Place the car cover inside out on the carテ「竄ャヲrepeat above (omit Tech Guard)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Bill D
10-13-2004, 01:36 PM
TOGWT,

The 303 treatment sounds like a great plan :up

Can anyone confirm the safety and effectiveness of sealing a Weathershield cover`s seams with a spray seal used for tents? A tyip I read long ago somewhere, not sure if it`s advisable or not.