PDA

View Full Version : When is it Safe to Use Quick Detail?

Rob Tomlin
10-12-2004, 09:47 PM
I love my Z6. Probably my single favorite detailing product.

But how dirty can your car be and still use a QD spray?

I`ve always tried to be pretty conservative on this, but I am starting to wonder if I have been conservative enough.

For example, I use to think it was ok to use a QD after driving to work (40 miles each way), letting the car sit in the parking lot for 6 or 7 hours, and driving back home, as long as it wasn`t really windy that day and the car didn`t pick up some bird bombs or other heavy soiling.

But even after driving the car in the above scenario, the car will always pick up a very fine coating of dust. I use Zaino Z2, so it doesn`t really attract dust like some carnauba waxes can, but it`s still there.

So, given the above, would it be safe to use Z6 or other QD?

What measurement do you use to determine when it is ok?

The car looks so much better using the Z6 after just one day of driving, it seems it would be a shame to have to wait for it to look great again until it can be washed (which I do once per week). But obviously not at the expense of causing marring and swirls.

Thoughts?

Eliot Ness
10-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I think a safer approach would be to dust your car with a CCD before a QD or S&W. If a car just has a bit of dust on it I feel safer getting as much as possible off with a light dusting with the CCD first. JMHO

svanderbilt
10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Do as John says. Dust the car with a car duster, then quick detail. Use a few microfiber towels to be safe.

I got the OXO Duster in the mail on Monday. Initial observations are that it`s very well made. The strands are finer (than my CCD), the handle is solid soft rubber, and comes with a drawstring carrying bag. It`s currently sitting on paper right now, letting the excess paraffin wax seep into the paper.

So far, looks good.

Level 1: Quick Detailer

Level 2: Car duster and Quick Detailer

Level 3: Poorboy`s Spray And Wipe

Level 4: Quick & Easy Wash

Level 5: Traditional wash

There could also be sub-levels, like Quick & Easy Wash, with using Spray & Wipe as a pretreat on dirtier areas, or using a duster before quick and easy wash or before spray and wipe.

Jesstzn
10-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I only QD after a wash or if I really have to at a car show .. but I still get micro marring even only after a few miles of driving .. So my preference is to wash.

SergC
10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by beau

Do as John says. Dust the car with a car duster, then quick detail. Use a few microfiber towels to be safe.

I got the OXO Duster in the mail on Monday. Initial observations are that it`s very well made. The strands are finer (than my CCD), the handle is solid soft rubber, and comes with a drawstring carrying bag. It`s currently sitting on paper right now, letting the excess paraffin wax seep into the paper.

So far, looks good.

There could also be sub-levels, like Quick & Easy Wash, with using Spray & Wipe as a pretreat on dirtier areas, or using a duster before quick and easy wash or before spray and wipe.

Can`t say any better.I QD my daily driver every day:Oxo duster/CCD then QD...

oaevo8u
10-12-2004, 11:38 PM
If my car is dusty ill do a light wash and then qd, im to scared to drag even a ccd over it, but im a little extreme.

Rob Tomlin
10-13-2004, 08:55 AM
I`ve never used a CCD, or any other duster for that matter, since the ones I`ve tried always left streaking. Perhaps that was user error. I`ll have to give it a try again.

wash-girl
10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Rob Tomlin

I`ve never used a CCD, or any other duster for that matter, since the ones I`ve tried always left streaking. Perhaps that was user error. I`ll have to give it a try again.

The streaking was probably from too much wax in the strands. You should let it sit on a newspaper for a few days, as noted above, to draw out the excess wax. Use should involve the lightest passes possible to remove the dust.

Rob Tomlin
10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Great advice. Thanks!

Accumulator
10-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

I only QD after a wash or if I really have to at a car show .. but I still get micro marring even only after a few miles of driving .. So my preference is to wash.

Yeah, same here. In fact, I`ve pretty much decided not to show the XJS because off-site prep would result in marring.

Even though plenty of people are happy with the CCD, whenever I`ve used one I`ve caused micro (or not so micro :o ) marring. And yeah, I`ve been as gentle as I can imagine anybody being.

Some paint is just too soft to touch with anything (when it`s dry). The only truly *safe* approach is to never touch it without a full wash. But again, there are a lot of people who *do* CCD/QD/etc.

imported_memnuts
10-13-2004, 10:08 AM
I only QD a completely clean vehicle. This means only after a wash or after sitting in the garage (washed prior to placing in garage) after a quick CCD of cold paint.

Daily non-wash CCD and QD`ing . :shocked A recipe for marring on dark colored vehicles.

I rather drive a slightly dusty car than a marred finish car. JMHO :wavey

debric
10-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Great question! I suffer from the same "Do I or Don`t I"; usually I just end up washing her, which is about 3 times a week....:D

Rob Tomlin
10-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Seems interesting to me that the majority here seem to indicate that QD`ing should only be done to a just washed vehicle. Somewhat surprising considerng how popular QD`s are these days.

I think what most people like about the QD`s are that they think they don`t have to wash the car as often. Apparently that isn`t the case if you want to be sure you don`t cause marring.

maecrispy
10-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by beau

I pretty much agree with beau with a slight modification:

Level 1 - 3: CCD and then 80/20 S&W/QD mix

The mix gives me the excellent cleaning properties of S&W and the slickness and shine of my fav QD (currently QS and Wolfgang QD) in one step. I just make sure to do two wipes, first with MF and next dry/buff with a plush MF.

Simplifies things as well as I don`t have to worry about that fine line between too dirty for straight QD and dirty enough for S&W. If one section is particularly dirty, I just use a bit more for of the mix but that`s it.

IMHO, this works for two reasons. One, the S&W comes off clean with no residue (as it`s designed to do) so it leaves nothing behind to interfere with the QD`s shine. Two, the percentage QD in the mix is enough to give you the shine and slickeness you want withough compromising S&W`s cleaning ability. Steve himself has said that 70% S&W is about as much as you can cut S&W and still retain it`s cleaning properties (I use 80% only because I don`t want to push it.)

Anyway, the mix works equally well for just after a full wash as it does for a less than QEW dirty car. Also, I wouldn`t do this everyday. I usually do a full wash once a week and one mid-week S&W session. Use your best judgement on wether the CCD is necessary as well.