PDA

View Full Version : Some type of film on my tail lights help!

imported_DetailGirl
10-12-2004, 12:40 AM
So after the car got back from the body shop the a-holes that did the work must have gotten something on the clear Maxima tail lights. I tried plexus, no workie, I tried goo gone, no workie. Where should I go next? I am deathly afraid of scratching the plastic. Help!

mgm2003
10-12-2004, 07:23 AM
You think that scared you.....

My boss has a new 350Z. About a month ago, he had his driveway re-sealed. The A-holes didn`t bother to close his garage doors and the back 1/3 of his car got covered with tar overspray. Very sticky/oily!!! We got it off with clay (3 bars) -including his tail lights, and it didn`t scratch. I`ve also used clay to remove paint overspray from lenses, and didn`t notice any scratching.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

Where should I go next?

Have you given any thought to going back to the body shop to show them the condition of your tail lights? Also, if this job was part of an insurance claim; have you notified the insurance company?

andriver
10-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Frank is right. Get the insurance adjustor involved.

medic159
10-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by andriver

Frank is right. Get the insurance adjustor involved.

Absolutely! Get yourself a nice new set of lenses, they ruined then... they need to replace them!

Big Leegr
10-16-2004, 03:18 PM
If it is clearcoat overspray (and you can`t get the shop to fix it for you) you can use a pure polish. They remove paint from the body, so they`ll work on the lens too. Just be careful not to get "overzealous" as the plastic may be fragile and break/crack from too much effort.

If you have a thick amount (drips) you might try a laquer thinner and Q-tip to get rid of the majority before polishing. Again, be careful not to get the thinner on the plastic, as it can "melt" the plastic too.

Really, though, even if it`s not an insurance claim, if the shop did something to them, the shop should be willing to take care of it, including replacing the lenses if need be.

blue-sun
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
When I really detailed my car earlier this year with Diamond Cut and a wool pad, I tried it on my taillights and turn signals.

Worked like a charm

Before

http://blue-sun.net/DiamondCut2/DiamondCut2-Images/17.jpg

After

http://blue-sun.net/DiamondCut2/DiamondCut2-Images/18.jpg

David

jfelbab
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
I`ve had good luck with Meguiar`s Plastix.

White95Max
10-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I believe Mothers Plastic Polish is supposed to fix haze on taillight/headlight lenses.

"Mothersâ„¢ Plastic Polish is a true polish, and can tackle even the seemingly baked on ‘yellow’ film and ‘cloudy’ streaks from the most sensitive plastics...such as convertible top windows."

What year Maxima do you have?