PDA

View Full Version : PoorBoys Slick Car Wash & Wheel Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anthony O.
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
We are all familiar with Poorboys (at least most are) SSR`s and also the EX`s. Now Poorboys have introduced a car wash and a wheel cleaner which I just so happened to have been using last week.

First up is the Super Slick Car Wash. Thsi car wash is highly concentrated so a little does go along way, especially if using soft water.

Nice clean smell to the product, almost like a hair shampoo type smell, very pleasant.

Suds up quick and rich, and the suds hang around for some time also, even in hard water.

Very lubricating and rinses clean, no residue left on any of the cars I have washed it with. Is also wax friendly. All in all a very nice car soap.

The wheel cleaner is a spray on/hose off type and it claims to be safe for all wheel types BUT it should be sponged on all aluminum and uncoated wheels so as not to stain.

Again it has a very pleasant smell, is non-acid based and in short does a heck of a job on wheels. I have not tried it yet on really gunky wheels but it does remove a weeks worth of brake dust with just spraying, letting it dwell and then rinsing.

Very little agitation was needed with a wheel brush. If you have a pressure washer then I would guess no agitation is needed. The key is to wet the wheel first, spray on a COOL wheel, let dwell for several minutes then hit with some water. The sprayer I got with the sample Steve sent me is useless (which Steve warned me about before hand) so that`s about my only negative comment.

Two very nice products from Poorboys to round out an already great and growing line of products. :xyxthumbs to both.

Anthony

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

The wheel cleaner is ... non-acid based

I believe Poorboy has stated this IS an acid-based cleaner, that he doesn`t recommend it for EVERY wheel cleaning, only periodically. I think someone measured it at a 4 pH, IIRC.

Scottwax
10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the review. I have been happy with all the Poorboy`s products I have tried. Guess I have to sample a couple more.

imported_DetailGirl
10-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Thanks for the review. I have been happy with all the Poorboy`s products I have tried. Guess I have to sample a couple more. And then mail me some #16 or some Quikshine!

ALAN81
10-12-2004, 06:22 AM
with the quality of POORBOYS products I didn`t expect anything less from that company.I used the car wash and thought it was a EXCELLENT product.

RedondoV6
10-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

(wheel cleaner) ...Again it has a very pleasant smell, is non-acid based and in short does a heck of a job on wheels. I have not tried it yet on really gunky wheels but it does remove a weeks worth of brake dust with just spraying, letting it dwell and then rinsing.

Anthony

If you were using the PB`s wheel cleaner on general sale to the public, I can tell you it is acidic, PH4. If you take time to read my review here or the thread discussing the subject over at DC (with input from Steve) you will see this is so. If you are using one of the prototype wheel cleaners, I think you should make that clear (I`d also question the value of reviewing a product in development).

I know it is nice to get free samples of products but I for one, would appreciate the excerise of a more "critial eye" when reviewing products, especially when we are talking about something that could potentially damage certain types of rims.

My 2 cents...

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks, Redondo, I knew I got that pH 4 from somewhere!

groebuck
10-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Not to start a flame war but Anthony is probably one of the best best detailers on either DC or here. Free or not (and PB is selling both products) he would say if they were crap.

RedondoV6
10-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by groebuck

Not to start a flame war but Anthony is probably one of the best best detailers on either DC or here. Free or not (and PB is selling both products) he would say if they were crap.

With respect Groebuck, whether or not Anthony is a good detailer or not is not the issue here. Anthony`s at best misleading, or at worst factually incorrect review of the PB`s wheel cleaner is the issue.

As for both products being on sale, maybe privately but as of this morning only the acid based cleaner is listed on PB`s web site.

I too have no interest in a flame war, maybe it`s best to let Anthony speak for himself?

SpoiledMan
10-12-2004, 09:19 AM
The car wash is listed right under the wheel cleaner.

Bill D
10-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Why the need for an apparently harsh wheel cleaner if you simply just keep your wheels clean frequently? :nixweiss

RedondoV6
10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

The car wash is listed right under the wheel cleaner.

SpoiledMan: Please re-read my first post in this thread, the two products I am referring to are the acid based PB`s wheel cleaner that is on sale to the public and the other prototype wheel cleaner that Poorboys was testing. No mention of the car wash!

SpoiledMan
10-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Sorry Mike. My short sight!

groebuck
10-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Redondo - I`m confused - Steve never had a wheel cleaner before - the spray and rinse wheel cleaner on his site is the prototype that was being tested (has been for a few months now) - both that and the car wash are brand new products. I`m not really sure it`s fair to call it acid based :) - it`s about as acidic as grapes right? :lol but hey I am not a chemist.

Bill D
10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I`m waiting on some pH strips from my gf`s sister who works for a fragrance company. I`ll be testing APCs, wheel cleaners, soaps when I can get a chance.