PDA

View Full Version : 1Z Glanz takes off everyting?

imported_Bence
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Mike, I`ve heard that Glanz takes off everything from the surface to ensure proper bonding. Are the solvents in it that strong? No matter what is it? AIO? Any sealant? "Heavy-duty" carnaubas?

When I applied it to my dark green Camry, I was amazed, how it went a loooong way. It darkened the shade of tha paint.

I tried to put a coat of Sonax Xtreme1 Carnauba Paste over it, but I didn`t notice any profound difference. Same gloss, same depth, but the Glanz was slicker. I did half a fender w/Glanz and half w/o.

I could feel the "grabbier" carnauba-side finish with my ultrafine MF. My hand also was slowed noticeably and I felt a different friction coefficient.

What do you recommend? Glanz alone, or with a topper? Are carnaubas stable over the Glanz?

P.S.: Just tried AutoGlym EGP over the Glanz. EGP was brighter this way than its usual, slightly muted glow, and brought out the flake much better! It had a slight golden shade in the flakes! Sehr schön!

Bobby G
10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Bence,

I`ll make a couple of comments about Glanz until Mike shows up. The solvents in Glanz are strong enough to remove "EVERYTHING". It is a great chemical cleaner, and chemically cleans as well as Klasse AIO and AG SRP. Anything that was on the finish before applying Glanz will be wiped away.

A note about topping Glanz. AG EGP is designed to work with SRP as a base. Using EGP on anything other than a resin-based sealant is a waste of time and money. You may get a temporary shine, but it will easily wash away.

Pure waxes can be used with Glanz, but I find it better to follow 1Z`s recommendation of polishing PP+MP followed by a single coat of Glanz. 1Z polishes really do a great job of bring out the finish. Glanz is one of the clearest waxes made and will not distort the final finish.

imported_Bence
10-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Thx, David!

This way I won`t waste my time... I have the black, non-silicone Pro-Line (Intensive Paste, Hochglanz Polish, Wax Finish & of course the GW). It must clear itself, too, so it is non-layerable, I suppose...

José (jgv) adviced me before I got my stuff, that I will have better results with the normal, silicone-pro-line but what the heck? 1Z gave me the whole pro-line free! In Hungary the normal pro-line products are not available yet. 1Z started here only 5 months ago...

Thanks again.

(Thinking... what to do with all of my `other` stuff??? I have only one car...)

stevet
10-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

The solvents in Glanz are strong enough to remove "EVERYTHING". It is a great chemical cleaner, and chemically cleans as well as Klasse AIO and AG SRP. Anything that was on the finish before applying Glanz will be wiped away.

Than would you say 1Z Glanz Wax is a Cleaner Wax and can be used as a one step product?

Accumulator
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
I find it both interesting and odd that Glaz would remove the waxes that the (regular) 1Z polishes leave behind. Wouldn`t this defeat the purpose of the "concealers" that MP and WPS use to hide things like holograms?

imported_Bence
10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Exactly that was my starting spark! It cannot destroy all of the layers under it. GW does not fill, therefore some of the oils (fillers & conc.s) must remain.

And... I applied the AG EGP over it almost a day ago. The EGP has deepened since. Maybe it is a look-only layer, and it is not so stable & durable over the Glanz, but I like the look. Still has a golden hue.

Bobby G
10-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I find it both interesting and odd that Glaz would remove the waxes that the (regular) 1Z polishes leave behind. Wouldn`t this defeat the purpose of the "concealers" that MP and WPS use to hide things like holograms?

Realize that 1Z MP does not have to be followed with another wax. MP itself is a "cleaner/wax" that has lasting protection (as good as most carnauba waxes).

Many people use it as a pre-wax cleaner or a final finish polish because it does such a good job.

The wax in MP is a carnauba emulsion. If you wanted to top it with something for a deeper finish, use a pure carnauba.

db

Accumulator
10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
David- Guess I was unclear- heh heh, I seem to be doing that a lot this week :o

Yeah, I too consider (consumer/pink) MP a "cleaner wax" and I like how it looks on its own.

I was wondering if using Glanz over it removes (through solvent action) the wax/fillers that the MP leaves behind. Since MP and Wax Polish Soft both do a little "hiding" of defects, if the Glanz removes what they leave behind I wonder if that would cause the previously "hidden" (by the MP or WPS) defects to reappear.

One of the reasons I haven`t used GW is that I didn`t want to "undo" anything that the MP/WPs accomplished. That`s why I usually top (consumer/pink) MP/WPS with something like #16 or Souveran when I top it at all.

SAZMan
10-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I had assumed that the 1Z products were designed to go together - meaning use in succession for added benefit. From what I see above, that seems not to be the case. Interesting.