PDA

View Full Version : Black Audi Swirl Marks

Pages : [1] 2

djcuda
10-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I HAVE A BLACK AUDI WHICH HAS ALOT OF SWIRL MARKS, WHICH I CAN`T STAND TO LOOK AT. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO USE FROM START TO FINISH. SHOULD I GET A PORTER CABLE ? WAXES? CLEANERS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. OH AND IT`S JUST BEFORE WINTER. THANKS, HEARD YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.

Bill D
10-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Welcome to Autopia djcuda :wavey

Please turn off your caps, hard to read ,we might think your shouting :)

Yep, Audi clear is tough. If it`s swirls you can easily see and you really want it defect free I`m afraid a rotary`s the only true way to go. I scrutinize over mine with a 1000 watt halogen set :D

Otherwise, I`d pick the Cyclo over a PC, seems to do a more effective job s on real light amrring on Audi clear IMO. Wish I got first before the PC.

oaevo8u
10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Welcome djcuda!!!!

Here is a link I think that will help you get rid of your swirls, I have a black car as well I know how much of a pain in the but it can be....

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+3AfMRt+inf-swirls.html

s2skimon
10-11-2004, 06:55 PM
i like the use of a porter cable, orange pads and poorboys ssr series.. for the sealants i use klasse, but you can get great results with EX-P too, then top with something like Natty`s.. which will really add depth to the black.. good luck and post pics in when done in the click n brag section

Bill D
10-11-2004, 06:56 PM
The 1z polishes are the first I reach for :up

DSVWGLI
10-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Welcome, the 1Z polishes are great. 1Z PP followed by MP should do the trick if the swirls are not to deep. If so use UPP but be very careful as this polish is very abrasive.

Bill D
10-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Yep, very likely you`ll have polish out UPP`s own marring

oaevo8u
10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes I have the whole 1z collection and its great.

AudiOn19s
10-12-2004, 06:51 AM
As a black Audi owner I will tell you that Bill D is correct...rotary is the only good way to go...and I`m still not brave enough to tackle anything with a rotary yet though.

If you`re going to be polishing with a PC and have tons of patience then either get the entire 1Z line (you`ll need the Ultra polish on Audi`s hard clear) or the entire poorboys line. I didn`t find Menzerna IP to work well enough to remove defects in my paint.

All in all I probably spent over 10 hours making my black Audi Paint as close to "good" as possible with a PC...it`s still not where I`d like it to be. Personally I used SSR3 on the tought spots which Left marring and left a haze...then followed up with SSR2.5 then SSR1 before I even went to any last step product. There are still some small scratches that I can see but cannot feel with my finger nail that I can`t get out...but there`s no more swirling in the paint.

Bill D
10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by AudiOn19s

As a black Audi owner I will tell you that Bill D is correct...rotary is the only good way to go...and I`m still not brave enough to tackle anything with a rotary yet though.

He he, we`re in the same boat :o

Accumulator
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
What Bill D. and Audion19s said :xyxthumbs No real need for anything from me on this one as they`s said it all. And yeah, if you`re working with an Audi, I`d get the Cyclo. Used ones show up on e-bay and it`s pretty safe to buy a cheap, beat-up one since they last forever.

Audion19s- Heh heh, only 10 hours? Lucky you :D I spent (literally) days on the S8 after the shop was finished abusing it, and that was with a rotary. One wash of that car by someone else and a panel needs a *lot* of work to make me happy. But then I have to spend more time inspecting, what with a silver car.

You guys really oughta "just do it" with the rotary *using 1Z polishes*. By rotary they require slow speeds (under 1K) so it`s a very safe process. Hey, I`m as paranoid as the next guy, but I took the Makita straight out of the box and did the S8 after not using a rotary in a good twenty years. No problems, or at least none that the Cyclo couldn`t handle. Do it just a light job by rotary then switch to your usual methods- you`ll make a gradual improvement each time you do it and you can "ramp up" your aggressiveness over time.

Bill D
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey Accumulator!

You`ve addressed my question I was asking over on DC. So, speeds under 1K rpm are ok huh? I`ve been polishing fenders all summer long and the hood, trunk and roof of my former Maxima, I guess I`m ready, if need be to try it out under 1K rpm

Accumulator
10-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Bill D. - Yeah, according to 1Z higher speeds break down the abrasives in *those* polishes too fast. You do most of the work at about 800 then speed it up for a final burnishing. And knowing you, you`ll then use an alcohol wipedown ;) and *then* pull it out and see if you got any holograms. If so, I`d just use the Cyclo to remove them rather than rotary the car to death.

Heh heh, a Maxima, huh? A week ago right now I was ramming one to death with a Taurus :D

Bill D
10-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Accumulator, thanks, I`ll look into that for sure!

:xyxthumbs

You forgot the intense scrunity under 1000 watt halogens with the indoor flourescents on and off at different angles as well as the trouble light :D ;)

Accumulator
10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

..You forgot the intense scrunity ...

Well, I took the varying light-sources/viewing angle part for granted :D