PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Protection???

stiege
10-11-2004, 11:49 AM
I`ve orderded repro wheels for my wife`s 2000 Passat wagon. Hers were shot, road rash, two were out of round, etc.

Is it a futile excercise applying any sort of protectant to them? Will it really make a difference in releasing brake dust and dirt? Or should I just clean them with wheel cleaner and stay on top of them more than my wife has? Also, I assume that the wheel cleaner will just remove the protectant the first time they get too dirty for a regular wash.

I have Collinite Fleetwax, Klasse Twins and #16. What do you think?

Jason

oaevo8u
10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Im not very familiar with your particular products but here is a link that might help you with your situation, Good Luck!!!!!

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+3AfMRt+inf-wheels.html

MattZ28
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I wouldn`t bother with a pure carnauba....they can`t withstand the heat. Last time I did my wheels I used clay, Klasse AIO, and Four Star UPP. Klasse twins are probably your best bet.

Lowejackson
10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
The Klasse will also make cleaning the wheels easier in the future

SVR
10-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Do it. Applying a few layers of a sealant or a combo will dramatically reduce how much brake dust gets on your wheels. Wash them every week with a wax free shampoo, the tyres can be cleaned with a pro wash n wax if you wanted to. A coat of AIO followed by which ever sealants you want will do the trick

My dad`s brand new wheels for BUGSY, his 1971 MGB will be used for racing and so I have cleaned them with Detailers Pride Gel wheel cleaner and 3M Pro wax free shampoo

Next is AIO followed by 1 X bodyseal - 2 X Klasse SG - 2 X 4 * UPP and 1 X Wolfgang. They are made in the UK and powdercoated.

SVR
10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
They will look better than this when all done

stevet
10-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by SVR

Next is AIO followed by 1 X bodyseal - 2 X Klasse SG - 2 X 4 * UPP and 1 X Wolfgang. They are made in the UK and powdercoated.

How exactly did you come up with this combo of products?:rolleyes:

stiege
10-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Any other ideas? If I put some Klasse on them and just wash them regularly without wheel cleaner, how long should I expect the Klasse to last?

My point is, I don`t want to spend all the time to do it if the protection will wear off in a few weeks. (I`ve got a house to paint :rolleyes: )

Thanks,

Jason

Lowejackson
10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
If you prep correctly and add a few layers of SG you should get more than a few weeks, maybe a couple of months depending on conditions and driving. Dont forget your wheels live in a very harsh environment

stiege
10-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Dont forget your wheels live in a very harsh environment

Yeah, so do I... with my wife wondering when the house will be painted.:p

Jason

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Jason,

For painted wheels, it`s probably better to go with using almost no wheel cleaner and just waxing your wheels often. Once painted wheels are relatively clean you should be able to simply use your favorite brand of car wash soap for washing, followed by an application of wax. I`ve always used carnauba wax about every month or two because it drys clear and is easy to use. However you could go with more of a sealant if that`s what you like. Either way, the key is to keep your wheels waxed and go easy on the wheel cleaners.

YoSteve
10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
have I taught everyone nothing? ;)

you know how much time I save not having to scrub and brush and acid the brake dust off my wheels, not to mention how bad all those are for them

do a search on wheel protectant (and my username)

Here`s a link (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29905&highlight=wheel+protectant)

HTH, happy detailing

AMP01
10-16-2004, 10:49 AM
stiege,

I have had the best results using AI0x2 and then top with SGx2. Each week or two I add another coat of SG. I also try to do a quick wipe of my wheels with a non carnauba QD each day to keep down on the brake dust and to keep the wheels looking great.

Here is a shot of my Bimmer with the above recipie for keeping the wheels protected.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2805740i_sport_corner_angle_in_garage_for_web_11-17-03.jpg

I hope this helps!

Cheers,