PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Random Orbit Polisher Suggestions?

JimGo
10-10-2004, 11:08 PM
I`d like to take a crack at detailing my car, but I live in an apartment, so running power out to my car is a bit of a problem (understatement). I figure that if I can find a cordless random orbit polisher, I should be able to do most of what I want to do. I realize that it won`t be a PC, but it should be better (or at least faster) than working by hand. I happened to see the G-104 from Meguiars (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_list.cfm?store=meg&line=auto&catagory=8&subcatagory=2) while poking around their site, but from what I can glean from the limited information provided, it appears to be an orbital, not random orbit. Since I`m just starting out, I think a RO is a better way to go based on what I`ve read on here. Can anyone confirm/deny the non-random motion?

I also saw this cordless buffer at Sears (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910724000&subcat=Buffers+%26+Polishers). I don`t know much about it. The charge is pretty short, but I think I can get a spare battery or two for pretty cheap.

Has anyone tried either of these, or can you suggest any other reasonably priced equipment? I mean, I know I COULD always buy a small generator and a PC, but that would blow my budget for a few years!

Thanks!

- Jim

imported_Totoland Mach
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
I`ve got the Meguiar`s unit which *is* a random orbital, single speed unit. I take it to car shows and use it primarily with an mf bonnet for a final shine.

The Meg`s came with 2 batteries, 8006 pad, and a nice nylon carry bag.

The batteries each last 1 - 1.5 hours and it is a single speed machine.

It`s a good unit for applying (using a 9006 pad) wax and as a final buff with an mf bonnet.

Don`t know about the Sears product, but Meguiar`s has top notch customer service.

lflorack
10-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JimGo

Has anyone tried either of these, or can you suggest any other reasonably priced equipment? I mean, I know I COULD always buy a small generator and a PC, but that would blow my budget for a few years!

Thanks!

- Jim

I have one of the Meguiar`s RO units as well. It`s single speed and works best with LSP`s and a MF cover. It`s not up to PC-type duty, but it`s a good product if you understand it`s limitations.

TortoiseAWD
10-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I have a Nikota cordless (which, if I`m not mistaken, may be the same machine as the Meg`s version). It`s excellent for applying a quick glaze or coat of wax/sealant, but IMO, it would be pretty useless for any kind of serious defect correction.

Check e-Bay for the Nikota version; I got mine for < $40 shipped.

Tort