PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover causes Rust?

focusdetail
10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Well I really love to detail and wax my car, but keeping it outside all the time is really driving my perfectionist side crazy! I drive a 2002 Focus SVT, what do you guys reccomend for a good priced car cover? also, my father warned me that they have been known to cause RUST? please make a suggestion before i lose my mind :D

NickMach1
10-10-2004, 09:45 PM
if the cover does not breath well it is a possiblity? you want a good test? take a pair of hockey skates and throw plastic blade covers over them.. leave them on for a couple weeks, take the covers off and look at the amount of rust.. the same relates to some older car covers... if you buy a car cover that is good that won`t happen, alot of older car covers trap moisture

focusdetail
10-10-2004, 09:52 PM
sounds like where my dad is coming from....could you make a suggestion as to what is a "good" car cover, and what would be a "bad" car cover to stay away from? I`m guessing a $40-$50 Pepboys car cover is a good example of the BAD?

Bill D
10-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Not anything from Covercraft, excellent covers no matter which variey you choose :up

piblondin
10-10-2004, 10:49 PM
I paid a little over $200 for my car cover. As long as you put it on a clean car and don`t leave it on for too long, you should be fine.

focusdetail
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
i leave my car in jersey M-F when I live in philadelphia and go to college. I usually just come home on the weekends and use it.

NickMach1
10-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Seems like this one is good for you...

EVOLUTION® FOR ALL-WEATHER PROTECTION

Also known as Technalon™, Evolution® is ideal for long term outdoor use, rainy areas or inconsistent weather patterns. Breathes to allow evaporation of trapped water or condensation. Three colors.

forrest@mothers
10-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Evolution (4 layers thick) or NOAH (3 layers) are both great choices. I prefer Evo for the extra door ding protection, but it is more bulky.

Brand is important for fit - stick with a well known brand, and spend the extra money for a custom fit with mirror pockets. Buy the cable and lock so no one steals your cover.

Kimberly-Clark makes all the good car cover materials - you can check out

http://www.block-it.com/

for material information.

porterror
10-11-2004, 01:10 PM
thanks for the info forrest. I`m looking at the Evolution® (Technalon®) on carcoverworld.com right now for my car. It seems like its a custom fit cause the SVT model is listed, unlike some of the other brands of custom car covers. It is going for $130 for my car, which seems pretty reasonable to me. How can i tell if this has custom fit mirrow pockets + a cable and lock?

forrest@mothers
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
The easiest way likely is to e-mail and ask them.

If they show part #`s, see if it`s the same as other similar sized cars - custom fits don`t work that way.

autoweenie
10-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Hello porterror,

I took the liberty of checking your cover up under "ajusa.com"

(cheapest place during my previous cover hunt).

Your 2002 Ford SVT`s evolution is $126.97 (and free shipping).

Yes, it has 2 mirror pockets and an antenna pocket - came in

blue, grey, or tan).

By the way, I never use my cable and lock (perhaps I am

tempting fate).