PDA

View Full Version : new here

toyota2
10-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I just ordered the sonus/porter cable kit and now I have a few questions. First off let me say that I have a white 02 tacoma and a silver 03 4runner and the paint on both is in good shape but Im sure they will look better after this. Basicly the question I have is the order things are to be done. After washing and claying whats next.

Any help would be great and thanks in advance. In the mean time I will be reading alot on here to learn as much as I can so I will not have to ask such nubie questions.

Shawn

Wasatch
10-10-2004, 11:26 AM
If you got cobwebbing, swirl marks, or light scratches go with something like PBs SSR 2 or SSR 2.5, or 1Z PP or 1Z MP or want ever product(s) you like. Always go least abrasive first to see if that works. After you remove imperfections go with a polish or glaze to give the paint a nice finish. Then either put on a sealant or wax or both.

texas328ci
10-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by toyota2

First off let me say that I have a white 02 tacoma and a silver 03 4runner and the paint on both is in good shape but Im sure they will look better after this. Basicly the question I have is the order things are to be done. After washing and claying whats next.

Shawn

Hi Shawn, and welcome to Autopia! The order that you`ll do things won`t change, but the amount of steps might change depending on paint condition (i.e. any oxidation, scratches, just swirls, etc), what you`re looking to accomplish, how much time you want to spend, etc.

Basically, after you wash and clay (or clay while washing seems to work for some people... I plan on trying this next time.) You will be ready to prep the paint. For moderate oxidation and swirling, this would include:

Click here for Autopia Acronyms reference for products mentioned below (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm&s=&menu=8)

1. Polishing with a fine cut polish like DACP, 1Z PP or Menzerna IP (your choice would depend on paint condition.)

2. Using a finishing polish or glaze to improve gloss. Products might be Menzerna FP, Megs #80, etc.

3. Preparing the finish for waxing/sealing. I would recommend AIO for this. I`ve had great results with it.

4. Sealing/Waxing. There are many good products out there for this step. Choosing your product depends on if you are looking for a superior glossy wet look with depth, or if durability and lasting is more important. (AIO is a great product for durability from what I`ve read.) Sticking with the Klasse twins, you would use SG here. Other examples would be 1ZGW or NXT.

5. Optional topper - the topper is used to create an ultra wet look, and generate even more depth. Examples are S100 Carnauba Paste Wax, Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Wax, etc.

I hope this helps. I`m new to detailing as well, but am getting more knowledgable by the day! I`m sure others will chime in.

texas328ci
10-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I almost forgot. Toyota02, you definitely need to download David Bynon`s e-book if you haven`t done so already. It`s a great reference. I even printed mine out and keep it in the garage for quick reference:xyxthumbs

Follow this link, and click on "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD"

Link to David`s e-book (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=Books.htm&s=&menu=4)

Again, welcome!

toyota2
10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the quick and very helpful replies. This is truly a great sight that is full of information. Gettng started is the hardest step and you all have shed some light on the order to take things. Now if my pc and pads would just get here.

Again thanks

Shawn

oaevo8u
10-10-2004, 06:35 PM
:wavey (welcome) If your paint is in good order with only minor scratches and what not go with 1zmp and then follow up with 1zgw. If you use the mp and notice imperfections that are still there use 1zpp. I always follow up with mp after pp because it rids any hazing that the pp might have left behind. Hope this helps and again welcome to autopia.