PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Island Shine and Coat`s?

Pages : [1] 2

JustinR32
10-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Both offer "Cherry Wet Wax".

I`m not against repackaging, lord knows I have products that look and smell and work the same as other products, products I`ve purchased from some pretty nice folks and that I`d purchase again. It`s in pursuit of understanding that I suggest that Coat`s might be the manufacturer for HIS.

I`ll say here that I`m a big believer in the value of nice packaging as a way of enhancing consumer satisfaction. I believe in the power of advertising, marketing, and brand identification. For many of us, it works.

Before my friends who disagree start typing madly, I understand that it`s not a universal truth. And I`m not saying that I am a labeliste. I`m saying that good packaging can make or break a product, and that a quality consumer product marketed in plain white bottles might be a flop (and therefore a bad product, regardless of how well it works), whereas that same product repackaged creatively can be a success.

If a product is worth $15, can be bought for $12, but has no market awareness and therefore never finds its way to the end user, a good product? Or is it a better product if it is maked up a couple bucks, packaged attractively and marketed aggressively, and therefore gets found? Understand that I`m assuming the product works.

I don`t know the answer but I`m sure you can guess what I think it might be. I don`t want to start an argument, but it would be interesting to read the comments of some of my more thoughtful Autopian friends on this issue. I can see the other side of the coin just as easily. For those who believe the opposite, do you also see it as a shades-of-gray situation but with the final gradation slightly to the other side of my answer, or is it a black-and white slam dunk answer to you? If so, why? And, did I make the question clear? These painkillers are making me think too hard and I can`t drink when I take them.

Tom

6cyl's_of_fury
10-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Well put Tom, and to back your argument you only have to go to a shopping centre and look at the shelving. They spend millions on packaging all kinds of products ( often more $ are spent on packaging than the actual product ). And there is a premium paid to have your product shelved at eye height where it is most likely to be noticed.

Wasatch
10-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Don`t forget about advertising as well.

Bill D
10-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

I`m saying that good packaging can make or break a product, and that a quality consumer product marketed in plain white bottles might be a flop (and therefore a bad product, regardless of how well it works), whereas that same product repackaged creatively can be a success.

Zaino has done it this way, it`s uncanny the following a top notch product can produce.

hirosh
10-09-2004, 10:15 PM
i think i have to make a trip to Wal-Mart now and see what the label says. or maybe just buy a bottle. ;)

and what makes a good product? i think that lies more with the buyer/end-user than the manufacturer and their marketing because no matter how well a manufacturer "sells" their product, if i don`t like it or buy it or think it works well, i don`t consider it a good product. :)

Bill D
10-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Claims of some detailing products can border the absurd. I`ve found the "better ones" to not have to scream and shout thier "abilities".I`m finding word of mouth to be their most powerful promoter

imported_edschwab1
10-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Let`s not jump to conclusions. Just because HIS sells CWW does not mean HIS products are rebottled coats products. Many of the large chemical suppliers sell cherry wet wax, to rebottlers. I am not sure who manufactures CWW and resells it to numerous companies. Yes, most HIS products probably are rebottled products.

Eric

JustinR32
10-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Zaino has done it this way, it`s uncanny the following a top notch product can produce.

I`d thought of them instantly as a example that doesn`t fit, Bill, and that shows that there are other paths. Z is an example that keeps the answer to the question from being simple.

HIS isn`t making unusual claims. If it is repackaged Coat`s (and it`s repackaged something), then HIS`s taking bland, uninteresting package and promotion and replacing it with a nice label, "good vibes" from the islands, and a nice explanation of why they did it. They`re adding a buck or two for themselves, and putting it out there for the public.

I guess the question is, does the marketing help make it a better product if it brings a good product to more people, even if it affects the price negatively? As a secondary question, if the product is good, but not BETTER, would you see the "good vibe" a marketable item... follow me on this one... maybe not FOR YOU, but do you see it as having a legitimate spot in the marketplace? I do, myself. I see it as part of the freedom of the market. Toss a bit of caveat emptor in there, sure, but I can spend the extra buck for the vibe with my eyes open, knowing that in the end it won`t REALLY help me win the girl like it did for the guy in the commercial.

Give it some thought, friends, think it through, then answer. There are good arguments to be made against that stance, even though I feel it`s valid. Make your points well reasoned! Does advertising, marketing, packaging, etc add value?

EDIT: I posted at the same time as you did, Eric...

Eric, I`m not taking them to task for it, by no means; I`m lauding their entenpreneurial spirit. Coat`s on their website identify themselves as the manufacturer of Cherry Wet. I`m asking a more fundamental question; I`m asking if the extra stuff adds value, and not "does it add value FOR YOU", but does it intrinsically add value at all for the marketplace in general?

Tom

1 Clean WS6
10-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

Does advertising, marketing, packaging, etc add value?

It depends on the market that is targeted. For your average Joe that knows how to properly wash his car and put a coat of wax on it yet does not know what a glaze or machine polishing does...yes advertising/marketing/packaging works. Average Joe is going to go to his local auto parts store and scan over the various products (probably picking the one in a bright bottle with a fancy car), read the label and if he likes what it says he`ll buy it. The nuances that Autopians see in different finishes will be lost on him...if the car shines when he is done...that company just got itself another loyal customer.

Now...for folks like us on this board it`s a different story. I know in my case I like to try everything out there.....advertising, marketing, packaging mean nothing to me...the proof will be in the puddin` when I apply the product to a vehicle. Two product lines that I like very much, ClearKote and Poorboy`s, come in plain vanilla bottles but produce great results.

If a bottle of EX-P sat next to a bottle of Meg`s NXT on a shelf at the auto parts store average Joe will buy the NXT every time...it`s packaging is prettier.

ALAN81
10-10-2004, 11:32 AM
I must have seen 10 Cherry wet waxes floating around the latest from Pro.Will the real CWW please stand up and identify yourself.

ALAN81
10-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Imust have seen 10 Cherry wet waxes floating around the latest from Pro.Will the real CWW please stand up and identify yourself Iwould like to BUY a quart is COATS the real Mccoy

JustinR32
10-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ALAN81

Imust have seen 10 Cherry wet waxes floating around the latest from Pro.Will the real CWW please stand up and identify yourself Iwould like to BUY a quart is COATS the real Mccoy

From Coat`s website, boldface added:

"Since 1984 Coats Car Care Products has been setting the pace for service and giving dealers and detailers the professional attention they need. As a manufacturer, Coats is able to offer better pricing and a wider range of detail supplies to choose from. If you feel like the new or used car department, body shop or detail department is out of control call Coats and turn the detail department into a money making department."

Bill D
10-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Let`s all have a look at the Coats products, what`s the URL?

imported_edschwab1
10-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Let`s all have a look at the Coats products, what`s the URL?

coatsproducts.com

Eric

Bill D
10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Hawaiian Shine is specifically mentioned on their site:

http://coatsproducts.com/products3.asp