PDA

View Full Version : So how do I get body shop over spray of rims?

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 09:05 PM
So the body shop that did a HS job on my car got overspray on the rims. I tried to clay it off and that didnt work. What can I do to get this stuff off?

MacGyver
10-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Try a little Mother`s polish and some super fine steel wool.

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MacGyver

Try a little Mother`s polish and some super fine steel wool. No way is steel wool going anywhere near my rims

MacGyver
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

No way is steel wool going anywhere near my rims

If it works on the grill of a Rolls-Royce and on the rims of a 355 Spyder, it will surely work on your rims without causing harm. You could opt to use MF if you`re worried.

General Lee
10-09-2004, 10:26 PM
You could try Mineral spirits. What type of rims do you have?

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Just the Titanimum Edition factory 2003 Maxima rims.

I will try the mineral spirts tomorrow.

qwik5o
10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
They got overspray on mine too!

Got my decklid painted, week later discovered overspray..

I`ll try mineral spirits as well, but it might be really hard, cuz it has been on there for awhile.

Scottwax
10-10-2004, 12:20 AM
The overspray is so heavy on my brother`s Dodge Ram`s wheels, they have to be stripped and recoated. Of course, a competent body shop has to completely strip the entire cab of his truck and reshoot it the repaint after hail damage was so bad.

I hope your wheels aren`t that horrible. If the overspray is reasonable recent, mineral spirits may work.

qwik5o
10-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Damn I`m screwed. I should have taken it back to them the minute I saw it...

...err...

imported_DetailGirl
10-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I hate that body shop so freaking bad. I was told that they were good from a few people, I spent literally 12 hours repairing all the damage they did, my interior was a nightmare of dust. I am writing a strong letter to them tomorrow and filing a complaint with the better business buearue

jr weeks
10-10-2004, 06:52 PM
The problem with 2k urethane overspray (single stage or clearcoat) is that once it cures on established paint (most oem wheels are also clearcoated or powdercoated) it re-polymerizes INTO the surface, becoming part OF it, rather than just sitting ON it. Years ago, enamel and lacquer overspray were pretty easily removed with clay, not so with today`s 2k urethanes.

About the only thing you can do is (if the wheels are clearcoated oem) is wetsand and polish. Not fun. I`d make them repair it even if it meant them buying you new wheels. Push if you must. Good luck. :)

oaevo8u
10-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Im not sure but maybe using clay would help along with a good wheel cleaner and brushes that wont scratch the wheels, I agree on the mineral spirits as well if you can use it to remove sap off your finish why not your wheels.

jimmybuffit
10-11-2004, 09:13 PM
So the shop doesn`t have a warranty/guarantee/satisfaction policy? This should not be your problem, but rather their`s...

Did you pick the wrong shop?

Good Luck,

Jim