PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Marks on Interior Wood

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Malachi
10-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Is there any remedy to remove swirl marks from the interior wood trim? They look just like the ones we get on our paint.

Here is what my trim looks like for reference (no swirls).

http://www.bmw540ifun.com/photogallery/MyCar/021208modifiedCarPics/BackSeatView16.jpg

Pats300zx
10-09-2004, 05:52 PM
I would suggest Novus. Their 3 step system is great for removing scratches in plastic. I have used #2 and #1 on my taillight lenses, speedo cluster, etc. Look out the fine scratches and made them look like new.

It the scratches are really bad you might have to start with #3.

imported_Malachi
10-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

I would suggest Novus. Their 3 step system is great for removing scratches in plastic. I have used #2 and #1 on my taillight lenses, speedo cluster, etc. Look out the fine scratches and made them look like new.

It the scratches are really bad you might have to start with #3.

I am surprised you would suggest a plastic cleaner to remove wood swirl marks but if that works...do you think I could use Megs #10 and #17? I already have those.

imported_edschwab1
10-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Anthony Orosco uses Menzerna FP on wood, you could give that a try if you have some on hand.

Eric

l33
10-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I believe at least the outer piece of the BMW interior trim is plastic.

MacGyver
10-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Malachi

I am surprised you would suggest a plastic cleaner to remove wood swirl marks but if that works...do you think I could use Megs #10 and #17? I already have those.

It`s a clearcoat/varnish, probably catalyzed, over a wood finish. unless it`s a high-end car it probably isn`t wood underneath the topcoat at all.

The Novus system would be very delicate as opposed to some production style detail products, I`m assuming that`s why it was suggested.

imported_ottoman
10-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Someone either on Autopia or Detail City used Megs ScratchX by hand and posted pics a while ago. There were some great before and after pics but I couldnt find them using search. Anybody remember that thread?

Pats300zx
10-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I am surprised you would suggest a plastic cleaner to remove wood swirl marks

I doubt its real wood and was why I suggested Novus. I appears to have some type of plastic or clearcoated finish to it.

dcswd
10-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I think I remember something about ScratchX. I think that would work well, but ive never tried it so I dont really know.

Mazz
10-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Yup I dont think any BMW has any real wood in it. just the wood look so try what these guys have said.should make things look better.

scottabir
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
We manufacture the molds that make those "wood" grain trim pieces. they are indeed plastic on most vehicles.. like edschwab1 said FP works really good at clearing up any marks on them.

DantePasquale
10-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I started a thread on scratch x a few months ago. Tried in on my BMW interior trim, had a scratch that was noticible but you could not feel it with your finger nail. The scratch x worked great.

I had posted pictures, but they are gone now.

Apply it lightly and start out rubbing with only a little pressure. Increase pressure gradually if scratch/swirls do not disappear......

z400
10-10-2004, 09:45 PM
BMW uses REAL wood. It`s a REAL thin layer of wood. They use a thin layer due to safety reasons. (Don`t want it to splinter in case of a crash...)

SilverLexus
10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Lexus also uses real wood. :)

Porsche uses real carbon fiber on their carbon fiber option as well.

slov98
10-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I have fake wood with scratches and swirls everywhere, I`ve only used a MF towel on it, I guess everything scratches even mf