PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone clay after compounding?

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 11:00 AM
I clayed last night before compounding my hood, roof, and trunk. I then compounded, PC with Menz IP and orange power pad. Should I clay again to make sure that all is off the surface before going to Klasse SG and then to UPP.

So excited I get to try UPP today, after the Texas Oklahoma and Minnesota Michigan game of course!

Accumulator
10-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Nah, don`t bother claying again. The compounding doesn`t leave the sort of contamination that clay really excels at removing.

But I`d inspect *very* carefully to make sure that the IP/orange didn`t leave some fine micromarring that oughta be polished out with some milder product/pad combo. The K twins are pretty unforgiving about such imperfections (I do recommend that you use AIO before the SG, even on a well-preped surface).

And I think you`ll like the UPP. I just *love* the slickness and the look. Apply it thin, just as with the KSG.

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Darnit I miss typed, I am going to Klasse SG first.

Have not noticed any micro maring. I dont have a polish anymore, used up all my sec s100 and vanilla moose. But those would not really do any good because the Klass SG would just remove it right?

Or is the purose just to get rid of the micro maring?

Accumulator
10-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Let`s see...the P21S stuff and VM are usually to mild to remove micromarring anyhow.

KSG wouldn`t remove the stuff the P21S GEPC/VM leave behind, sorta the other way around- the stuff those products leave behind would mess with the application of SG, probably causing it to *not* bond correctly to the paint. KSG likes a perfectly "clean" surface, or one prepped with AIO.

I`d use some AIO to really clean the surface before applying the SG. If you don`t have any AIO, then I`d apply at least two coats of SG (perferably 24 hours apart) before trying out the UPP. Assume the first coat of SG is doing a (very) little solvent-action style cleaning and that it`s the second coat that actually does the SG-thing "properly".

Hope I`m being clear enough :o

imported_DetailGirl
10-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Good God I did it again. Im sorry Im sick and not thinking right, AIO, let me say again lol, STARTING WITH AIO. Take out anything I said about SG and replace with AIO. Sorry, not all there today typing while laying in bed

Accumulator
10-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Heh heh, OK, that clarifies some things :D

I`d top the AIO with something, though. It doesn`t last too long by itself. And yeah, AIO will sorta undo what P21S GEPC and VM provide you with. If you have no micromarring, just go straight to the AIO and then put something over it.