PDA

View Full Version : #81 over #80??

dschribs
10-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi All:

Love this board. I`ve learned a ton. Man you guys know your stuff.

My first post so here goes...

1. I know that Meg`s #80 has a diminishing abrasive in it and eventually becomes just a pure polish as you use it. Having said that, would it make any sense (i.e. difference in appearance) to use Meg`s #81 after the #80 or is that kind of more of the same??

I`ll be using NXT as a top coat.

2. Also, I see that alot of people on the board swear by #80. If I were to use it remove the very slight swirls I have on my car, is there anything I should use after it and prior to NXT?

I`m kind of sold on NXT after using it a few times. ..

Thanks Very Much!!!

Scottwax
10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Honestly, I think using #81 over #80 is redundant. #80 finishes down to the same very wet gloss you get with #81. If you are going to top with NXT, just go with #80. If you were to use #16 or #26, you may get a little more depth and wetness using #81 after #80.

I just did a dark green C280 today and I only used #80 and #16. Even in the direct sun, the depth, gloss and wetness were stunning. The owners just stood there and stared at it. Made me feel real good too. :)

dschribs
10-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks Scottwax - and #80 should get rid of some minor swirls for me as well correct???

By the way, what combo did you use on that red Lexus 430 in your photo gallery??? That car looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottwax
10-08-2004, 11:04 PM
#80 will remove or greatly reduce mild to moderate swirls.

I used Poorboy`s Polish w/carnauba (polishing pad) and Pinnacle Souveran.

JJ_
10-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Ive used #80 and then topped it with NXT but a pure carnuabua wax looks a lot better.

Am i right in saying #80 has some "fillers" since its a glaze. Before nxt application i would maybe use a pure polish if u are going all out, as i do notice a difference if i apply #7 after even though its slightly difficult to remove lol!

Also if u work #80 till it is "oily" then i find this gives the best gloss. I only use NXT when the car has NO swirls as i find it hides them and i prefferabley like to get rid of them.

Hope that helps.

joburnet
10-09-2004, 01:43 PM
I use #81 after DACP and gotten excellent results. I think that the difference is fairly small but $81 is some really nice stuff.

Scottwax
10-09-2004, 01:55 PM
JJ-true, #80 has a lot of oils that have a filling action but it is also abrasive enough to remove light to moderate defects, depending on paint hardness.

dschribs
10-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Scottwax...question for you

I noticed in a previous post -someone had asked for the best combo for red paint...you wrote:

"I like Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze followed by either Vanilla Moose or PBs Polish w/carnauba and either #16 Pro Paste Wax or Pinnacle Souveran. "

But, on my post you said nothing is needed over the #80??? (Other than the NXT)

Now I`m confused...as if I wasn`t before...

My car is red - the paint is in excellent condition (high gloss, no defects-other than the darn swirls)- and it`s a show car - so I`ll do the extra step (or two ..or three) to make it look perfect...

Scottwax
10-10-2004, 10:50 PM
I`m talking about if you want the absolute best finish possible (obviously, depending on where you start). You can get 95% of the look with just #80 and your LSP. If the extra 5% is worth another step, then use a final glaze first.

Most of my customers are so happy with how just #80 and whichever LSP I pick looks, they just aren`t going to pay for just a little more pop, especially with daily drivers.

dschribs
10-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Scottwax:

I do want that extra 5%, I`m not afraid of doing an extra step or two if it will make a difference....

So between the #80 and NXT I should use:

-Vanilla Moose

-something else??

Someone on this post mentioned #81 and someone else #7??

The only one I`ve ever tried was #7 - but that was by hand....

What do you think will work best??

Thanks for the help by the way!!!

8,000 posts...wow!

Scottwax
10-11-2004, 07:39 PM
dschribs

Vanilla Moose, Poorboy`s Polish w/carnauba, #81 or #3 (Machine Glaze) would be my choices. I prefer #81 or #3 over #7 because they are noticably easier to work with and you get the same very wet look.