PDA

View Full Version : How do these pads and products look?

SmoothAsGlass
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Just purchased my Porter Cable 7336 and looking to order the following:

- 6 Inch, C.P. Orange Power Pad to use 3M Finesse-It Machine Polish, then

- 6 Inch C.P. White Polishing Pad to use 3M Swirlmark Remover, and finish with

- 6 Inch C.P. Red Finishing Pad with Meguairs NXT

Do the products and pad types look right? I have some minor scratch and swirls I am looking to get out of a black 2002 Honda CRV. Don`t think there is much need in using a cleaner on it given the condition.

However another friend of mine had the following suggestion:

go with:

- 6 Inch, C.P. White Polishing Pad to use Menzerna Final Polish II, then

- 6 Inch C.P. Black Pad to use Meguiar’s No. 7 Show Car Glaze, and finish with

or

- 6 Inch, C.P. White Polishing Pad to use Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover, then

Suggestions?

TW85 HHI
10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
The NXT will clean the paint. It is like Klasse All-in-One in that it cleans and protects.

I`m not familiar with the pads you listed but unless you know you will not achieve the results you want without a cutting pad, start out with a polishing pad. You can move to a cutting pad if need be but starting out with a polishing pad may give you the results you want AND not cause or greatly reduce surface hazing. Be sure to work the products until they`re nearly invisible.

Do you have a clay bar? If so, I highly recommend you clay the car prior to pulling out the PC.

Deanski
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Look into the High Gloss 6" pads for the PC at CMA and the ones from Autopia, the Sonus pads. Both very good for the PC.

Orange pad should be used for swirl removal and a good cleaner/polish.

I`d suggest DACP for the orange. This will remove swirls and defects without over hazing. Cutting pads can haze with DACP.

Then, get your white pad and use some #80 or 3M Machine Polish. Or you could go to the #82, but you`re better off with 80.

For final work, finish with a polish pad then a finish pad with Menzerna FP. Starting with a polishing pad and FP will remove any remaining defects, then the finish pad will burnish the finish, but it takes time. You may want the FPII as it`s a bit more forgiving.

Protection: Finish pad and any good sealant. AIO, NXT, EX-P etc.

Make sure you have plenty of Packshak MF towels.

Regards,

Deanski

SmoothAsGlass
10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and I agree that it is better to start with a less abrasive pad if you are able to. So is the NXT good for the final wax or would something like Meguiars #16 or #26 be better?

As for the clay, I have actually already done that to the vehicle.

Originally posted by TW85 HHI

The NXT will clean the paint. It is like Klasse All-in-One in that it cleans and protects.

I`m not familiar with the pads you listed but unless you know you will not achieve the results you want without a cutting pad, start out with a polishing pad. You can move to a cutting pad if need be but starting out with a polishing pad may give you the results you want AND not cause or greatly reduce surface hazing. Be sure to work the products until they`re nearly invisible.

Do you have a clay bar? If so, I highly recommend you clay the car prior to pulling out the PC.

SmoothAsGlass
10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
I am thinking the orange pad maybe too abrasive and not really necessary...the same for the DACP and the paint is already in great shape...no oxidation, etc. So wouldn`t the DACP really not be needed?

Is #80 the same as #9 Swirl Remover?

Originally posted by Deanski

Look into the High Gloss 6" pads for the PC at CMA and the ones from Autopia, the Sonus pads. Both very good for the PC.

Orange pad should be used for swirl removal and a good cleaner/polish.

I`d suggest DACP for the orange. This will remove swirls and defects without over hazing. Cutting pads can haze with DACP.

Then, get your white pad and use some #80 or 3M Machine Polish. Or you could go to the #82, but you`re better off with 80.

For final work, finish with a polish pad then a finish pad with Menzerna FP. Starting with a polishing pad and FP will remove any remaining defects, then the finish pad will burnish the finish, but it takes time. You may want the FPII as it`s a bit more forgiving.

Protection: Finish pad and any good sealant. AIO, NXT, EX-P etc.

Make sure you have plenty of Packshak MF towels.

Regards,

Deanski

Deanski
10-10-2004, 09:11 PM
No 80 is more of a glaze than a polish, but it still polishes very lightly.

If you do not have any swirls, then 80 will be fine. Light swirls can be done with #9.

Always start with a less abrasive pad/polish first, then move up to a more abrasive polish/pad.

Deanski