PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, Black S2K and PC.

gemini-s2k
10-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Ok,

I`m beginning to get slightly frustrated. I`m no pro detailer and know it takes practice and experience to get to that level but I was hoping I would at LEAST be able to take hazing off my car. That, as of yet has not been the case - If not, it probably got worse since the last time I went over the car.

Rundown!

Car-01 Honda S2000

Color-Berlina Black

Products used - DACP, #80 Speed Glaze

and of course, the PC.

Pads - Meguiar`s cutting pad and polishing pad.

To begin.

I went over this car 2 weeks ago with just DACP and a cutting pad to remove heavy swirls, at this point I was completly new to this and didn`t realize I had to follow up with a polish with less cut to remove the marks left by DACP. 2 weeks pass I did some research and I went ahead and got Speed Glaze...

I washed, dried the car - Began working it again with DACP and the burgandy color pad.. made an effort to do small areas at round 5.. sometimes 6.. got most of the heavy swirls out the car..

Next up was Meg Speed Glaze and polishing pad! Time to remove that hazing right? Not..

I think my failure on this product and perhaps you guys can back me up once you read this story and give me tips is that I used TOO much product and didn`t work it in as long as I should have.. I was getting impatient, it was night time and all I had was the garage light.. I could see the hazing on the hood but it almost felt as if CREATING some with the the glaze!

I never used the PC on more than 3.5 on the glaze, maybe 4 are you suppose to work this in as long/highspeed as DACP? How much product? When do you know when to stop? What speeds recommended for Speed Glaze?

I woke up this morning and pulled the car out the garage, hoping for the best.. I was amazed by the wetness of the car and how slicked it looked.. it looks awesome in shades.

Then the sun kicked in and I saw hazing all over the car, worse than last last time I did before even the Glaze.. but I was a lot more aggresive on the car with the DACP in hopes of having the glaze remove whatevers left..

HELP! I`ve spent over 200 dollars now in microfiber towels, products and the PC.. I know this all a learning experience and eventually I might actually be able to make a side buisness out of this but right now.. very frustrated..

Couldn`t get a good angle but you`ll see it in the last pic much much worse in direct light...

and yes those are perm scratches on my door.. has to be repainted =/

http://www.imageaccess.com/km/detail.jpg

http://www.imageaccess.com/km/detail2.jpg

http://www.imageaccess.com/km/detail3.jpg

http://www.imageaccess.com/km/detail4.jpg

NavindraLR
10-08-2004, 09:42 AM
im guessing u didnt work the speed glaze in long enough, since you`re supposed to with all the meguairs products to achieve the best results (dimishing abrasives). id crank the pc up to alteast 5, always seems to work better...

Eliot Ness
10-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Megs does not recommend using the burgandy pad (7006) on the PC. I have never used one so I don`t know first hand how harsh it is, but I`d suggest the LC or Sonus orange pad for that kind of work. Most any mention of DACP with the burgandy pad is followed by questions of the hazing it leaves behind. If I use DACP and the orange pad I always follow up with DACP on a polish pad.

Work DACP in a small area, fast pc speed, and sloooow arm passes. I work it until it virtuall dusts away, and with a polish pad it leaves a nice finish. You may have to do more than one pass.

#80 (speed glaze) is basically worked like DACP but it`s a little different because it breaks down faster. Because of that it`s only cutting in the beginning and then it finely polishes. You can tell when #80 has been worked long enough because it`s colors will turn clear.

To correct your current problem I would try DACP (as explained above) on a small (2 x 2) area with a polish pad and see how it looks after a few applications in that same area. If you don`t notice much improvement after about 4 passes I`d go with an orange pad. Stay in that same small area so you get a feel for how many passes of produt/pad type are needed to reduce your hazing. If needed after the orange pad switch back to a polish pad. And if needed after that go to your #80 with a polish pad.

I have seen pictures where someone went right from DACP with an orange (LC) pad to their LSP on a black car and it looked very nice. But in your case you have to reduce/remove the haze caused by the burgandy pad. HTH