PDA

View Full Version : Car caught in flood. Should I clean up the carpet or get new carpet?

M2K
10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
My 96 Maxima has recently experienced a flood. As a result, the carpet was saturated by water and created a big mess. Thankfully the water didn`t go any higher than the carpet, so the seats and other things were left intact.

Now the water is gone, but now the interior has quite an unpleasant smell. I`m thinking about cleaning the carpet with the carpet cleaner that can be bought at stores (Stoner, etc), but I am not sure if that would be enough to get rid of all the dirt inside, not to mention if any cleaning needs to be done under the carpet at the floor pan level.

I`m also considering buying a new carpet (the entire molded carpet set) and replacing the old one. Has anyone attempted to change their carpet before, and are there any good instructions online for this?

Thanks a million for your help! :)

Eliot Ness
10-07-2004, 11:10 PM
You`re much better off replacing it. There was water and dirt and mud that has all soaked through your carpet and you most likely have a mildew farm going on right now. To clean it properly you`ll have to remove it, and if you`re doing that you may as well replace it.

The biggest chore will be removing your seats, I did a quick on-line search and found the following guide, but I`m sure there`s more out there if you look.

http://www.auto-interior.com/carptinstal.htm

Lowejackson
10-08-2004, 06:11 AM
The other thing to watch where water has got inside the car is for electrical problems. Most of the connectors for example in the engine bay are water resistant whereas the connectors and earth points will not be.

It does not automatically mean you will have any problems but whilst the carpet is out, I would give each connector a quick spray to clean them up.

togwt
10-08-2004, 06:57 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

I had the same problem after a visit from Jeanne, the carpet fabric was dryable but not the backing and I wasn’t too sure about being able to remove the odour or wither mildew would become a problem later on, so I replaced them.

Removing the seats is relatively easy if you take your time and are careful Front bucket seats are typically held down by four bolts on the ends of the runners at the base of the seat, two in the front and two in the back, these bolts are usually torque down hard (when replacing start the bolt by hand, being very careful not to cross-thread them) These are removed using a socket wrench. Sometimes the bolts are covered by a decorative plastic moulding, which is held in place by a screw or just pops off using a prying action with a slotted screwdriver. First, slide the seats to its rear-most position, exposing the front bolts, remove, then, sliding the seat to its forward position, exposing the rear bolts, remove.

When all four bolts have been removed, gently tilt the seat either forward or back to reveal any wires that are connected to the underside of the seat (for seat position controls, heaters, seat belt sensors, etc.). Carefully unplug these wires, and remove the seat from the vehicle, taking care not to scratch seat or paint surfaces as you lift out the seat. Cover the remaining wire harness with a plastic bag and aluminium foil; this will prevent dust, dirt, clue and any cleaning solution from getting into the wiring harness.

As Lowejackson has suggested check the electrical connections to ensure that they are dry (WD-40) and you might want to spray an electrical contact cleaner on them

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_kgb
10-08-2004, 07:01 AM
Replace it and the foam / sound barrier under neith it. And I would seriously get rid of that car. You are going to have mad electrical problem almost gauranteed. Not only with the waters diret contact with electrical components damage them but all of that moisture in the car will get into everything else and in a little while those connections will coorrode and give you troubles.

ALAN81
10-08-2004, 01:39 PM
New carpet with all these whosesale places you can pick up a carpet end or piece for a few dollars try COSTCO or SAMS for a remnent ....................Get a fan and place it on the area you want to dry.

ChippsAChoi
10-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Why dont you put a claim into your insurance company? They should cover it, material and installations.....right? Or are you scared of getting a salvaged title?

M2K
10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

As far as the flood went, the water only went to the carpet level, so only the "four squares" (where the 4 pieces of floor mats are) got a bit wet. I`m still observing to see if any other problems will pop up in the long run.

When I am at it, I will definitely give a good check to all the elecrtical connections that are under the carpet.

Once again, thank you for all the tips and ideas.

M2K
10-08-2004, 08:39 PM
TOGWT, while you were replacing the carpet, did you have to add any additional noise/heat insulation material, or is the carpet alone sufficient for that purpose?

Thanks!