PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a rotary

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
10-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Well guys, I think I`m ready for a rotary buffer. The PC is great and I love it, but it just takes a little too long to remove major defects. I mostly want a rotary for bad horizontal surfaces and will still be following it with a PC.

So, what`s the absolute *best* rotary out there? Also, who`s got the best deal on it? I`m open to all suggestions.

Oh yeah, same questions for the pads. I assume the Meg`s pads are the best since I know I want flat pads and they offer two sizes of flat pads for the rotary. So who`s got em` the cheapest?

Bill D
10-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Very subjective topic. I suspect for pure presitge, Fein is "the best"

I chose the Dewalt due to top notch construction, durability and exact rpm right on the dial :up http://www.coastaltool.com

I disagree Megs are best, I use LC and prefer them much more. If you want flat, LC does make flat as well, just tougher to find. Might be best call sites like TOL for special order.

JasonD
10-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Let me tell you why I say I want a flat pad, and maybe you can tell me why I don`t.

I watched the Meg`s video and they said to always polish with the pad flat on the surface. *Leaning* the pad will cause buffer induced swirls.

That being said, I have both VC and Flat pads for my PC and I vastly prefer the flat pads since there is more pad contact. The only LC pads I see for the rotary are the VC pads, and I can already see myself wanting to *lean* those, thus creating swirls.

I`m not trying to pretend that I know anything about a rotary at all, so if I`m wrong about anything please tell me. I`m here to learn.

Bill D
10-06-2004, 10:05 PM
LC does make a flat pad, probably another case of no online retailers selling them. I dont like flat pads at all especially with a rotary, just too much room for splatter even if you are careful.

I too follow the techniques from the Megs vidoe and have practiced bot with their flat and the vc LC, just my preference for the LC.

svanderbilt
10-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a Makita 9227C on the way to me Friday. I`ve received my LC VC pads and they look very well made.

JDookie, I got my Makita new off eBay. It was a tossup for me between the DeWalt and the Makita.

l33
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I agree with beau, i`ve used megs, edge and LC and feel the LC are constructed very well. The foam is firm and dense. I like the 7.5-8" for rotary use. They will stay just as flat as a flat pad. Flat pads come in handy for the PC when more contact is needed to break down the polish.

I have the PC rotary, it`s a little heavy but well constructed.

JasonD
10-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Okay, well I think I have decided on the DeWalt, and I assume the correct part # is DW849, correct? I am also going to order a couple of the Meg`s flat pads since I already have the LC 7.5" pads and will compare the two to see which ones I like better.

So far I have found the DeWalt at Coastal Tool for $189.00, and at Amazon.com for $180.49. Are these pretty much the best prices around?

Bill D
10-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Hmm.. thought I paid 166 total from coastal tool. At any rate, I think you`ll really like the Dewalt :up

JasonD
10-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Two things sold me on it. One, I`m not a fan of Makita tools in general and half of my garage is either Porter Cable or DeWalt. Two, I love the variable speed trigger. That`s perfect for preventing polish from slinging everywhere and you don`t have to keep tapping the trigger like the others do.

What backing plate do I get?

JasonD
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Bill D, you were right. I emailed CoastalTool and they said that their price is $166 after shipping, but the website shows $189.00. I`m trying to figure out how to order it at the lower price. I guess I will just have to call them.......darn. I`m so spoiled on being able to just click for things!

Bill D
10-08-2004, 09:21 AM
:up :D

hondaguy2582
10-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Id get the makita, but thats bc its easier for me to control, its lighter, and durable as heck. I use the old school 9207c one, but the 9227c is definitely superior. The clutch start and being able to start out at 900 rpms is worth the value.

Woob
10-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Coastal TOol for the Dewalt is $159 after 30 Dollar rebate. Go to this site:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/dewalt/dw849.htm?L+coastest+khgv6549fffd87fd+1097294518

"Get $30.00 Instant Rebate On this tool! Savings will be displayed in your Shopping Cart."

Guess its a good buy!

:p

wifehatescar
10-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Two things sold me on it. One, I`m not a fan of Makita tools in general and half of my garage is either Porter Cable or DeWalt. Two, I love the variable speed trigger. That`s perfect for preventing polish from slinging everywhere and you don`t have to keep tapping the trigger like the others do.

What backing plate do I get?

Just so you know the Makita has a variable speed trigger too.

l33
10-08-2004, 12:17 PM
all 3 do.