PDA

View Full Version : water spots on windows

imported_tuffluck
10-06-2004, 03:37 PM
what is the best way to get these out? can i use my PC with some DACP or #9, or is that just dumb?

Bill D
10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
could try it ,otherwise something like Autoglym or Zaino glass polish

oaevo8u
10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
I have had great luck with glass cleaner(nothing specific) and 000 or 0000 steel wool, works very well. I do know of a website that sells a kit for you pc and it comes with autoglym window polish and plate and material that lets you buff your windshield. I wouldnt use anything else for fear of smearing when you use your windsheild wipers or when it rains and making a unsafe driving condition. If im not mistaken its classic motoring accesories that sells the kit

travisdecpn
10-06-2004, 07:28 PM
I use "0000" steel wool along with #84 mixed with some liquid window cleaner like 20/20. Works great and reduces the micromarring inflicted by the steel wool.

Lowejackson
10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
The Autoglym has always worked well for me

joburnet
10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I used DACP and a rotary and it worked fairly well but it was some very etched glass.

Scottwax
10-06-2004, 10:20 PM
0000 steel wool and 50/50 water/vinegar mix should work.

MacGyver
10-07-2004, 03:59 PM
An acid/window cleaner mixture usually eliminates the need for steel wool, just a small amount on a MF towel, immediately rinse, and reclean with window cleaner.

For scratches you can use a jewelers rouge compound and a jewelers wheel on a drill motor but use extreme caution, it can discolor the glass, and even crack the glass if the wheel isn`t well lubricated throughout the process.

slov98
10-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I`ve been working out my arm getting rid of water spots and looks like I may have some sucess with `barkeepers friend` which has a gentle abrasive according to the manufacturer.

The streaks of water spots appeared when I applied WAUD for the first time over dealer`s wax. It`s on every window eveywhere, it`s like the wax streaked down the windows and then dried and etched itself? This is only an 03 model.

You can`t seen them when dry only during rain when wipers go over them or during drying.

Anyway, I will be doing another round of barkeepers on the windshield saturday, I`ve tried polishes like zaino,z1 glas polish ,detailers pride, and vinegar, dishwashing liquid sunlight and clay.

imported_NHBFAN
10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
#0000 + AIO

1 Clean WS6
10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
#0000 + ClearKote`s Vanilla Moose

togwt
10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

Glass surface water spots-

テす Use water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits.

テす Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the glass surfaces

テす Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

テす If any `water spots` remain apply Distilled White Vinegar un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.

テす If this does not remove the `water spots` use Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and #0000 or #000 steel wool, use straight-line motions only (circular motions cause swirl marks)

Below surface (etched) water spots can usually be removed using Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) to level the surface.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Pats300zx
10-08-2004, 01:58 PM
I have had great success with Duragloss Nu-Glass. It tackled alot of water spots on my ttops that vinegar could not take out.

togwt
10-12-2004, 08:25 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

tuffluck- you seem to be having problems with water spots as youテ「竄ャ邃「ve asked the question on their removal from both paint and glass surfaces, perhaps you should try filtered water?

Water Filtration:

Use a filter unit to provide spot-free vehicle washing and/or to remove hard water chemicals ((PW-SOF Sodium) from your vehicle washing hose. Utilizing standard softener resin, with a life span of approx. 90 gallons (dependant on water hardness / chemical content) between regenerations, a standard filter cartridge (9.75-inch x 2.5-inch) is contained in a clear polyurethane filter housing (HF-2) allowing you to see when the filter requires changing, unit connections are standard テだ-inch hose fittings, complete with a filter wrench and mounting bracket. .

The filter resin (PW-SOF) can be regenerated indefinitely using readily available water softening salt. Place the used cartridge in a container with the water softening salt / water solution and soak for 12-hours or more. The salt will displace the calcium replacing it with sodium.

With two filter cartridges you can use one while the other is in the regenerating solution. Filters available (PE-SOF) Sodium, for hard water (PW-CAL) Calcite to neutralize the pH and (KX-1) for Chorine removal.

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

imported_olofm
10-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I had horrable problems with waterspots on my previous car. It felt like I had tried everything when in desperation I tried "Autosol Chromepolish". Worked great!!!