PDA

View Full Version : PC - what doesn`t work?

Pages : [1] 2

BMcN
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
OK, been looking at the diffrent polish and waxes for my car to use with my PC when it comes.

Decided on:

Quik Clay Detailing System

Autogylm Paint Cleaner

Swirl Remover 2.0

Swirl Free Polish

#26 Hi-Tech Yellow Liquid Wax

Thats also the order I was planning on using them, sound ok?

Now, what I was wondering was, can all of these be applied with my PC?

Things like Autogylm Paint cleaner, can it be used with the PC? Also can Meg`s Gold Class wax/polish be used with the PC?

BookemDano
10-06-2004, 02:44 PM
I can`t really comment on the polish and wax, but I`d recommend claying by hand. There is a Clay "pad" for the PC. However, that`s dangerous IMO because the whole idea of clay is to pick up contaminents. If you pick up a piece of grit in the clay, you can seriously damage the paint in seconds.

Also, you need to keep the clay lubricated. There may be better ways to do this, but I hold the clay lube in one hand and apply the clay with the other hand. Then, I can spritz the panel whenever the clay starts dragging. Keeping the clay lubed properly would probably be difficult if claying with a PC.

Also, there are other protectants, like Zaino Z2/Z5 and Menzerna FMJ, which can be applied with a PC. I`ve had good luck with both using a Lake Country Red Pad. (Make sure that you have a good pad selection for applying polishes and waxes/protectants.)

Best of luck,

Dan.

imported_BretFraz
10-06-2004, 02:58 PM
I`m with Dano on the clay usage. While there are a few specialized pads for paint claying, its a task best done by hand.

All your polishes should work fine with a PC. So should any liquid wax. Gold Class applies fine with a PC. Basically, if its a liquid product, its designed to be used by machine (with very few exceptions).

BMcN
10-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I should have mentioned I was not planning on using the PC for claying, wouldn`t dream of it!

So everything sounds ok with my plan? Is Autoglym paint cleaner good enough to start with? Spent enough money already so didn`t see the point in getting Megs medallion when I have some paint cleaner sitting here unused.

Lowejackson
10-07-2004, 06:12 AM
The Autoglym paint cleaner, are you talking about Super Resin. If so, this is a mild polish but it can be applied with a PC.

BMcN
10-07-2004, 07:20 AM
No, I am talking about the actual Autoglym paint cleaner. See here: http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Products_Cleaners_177.html

First one on the list. I see there it is called paint renovator. Basically I am asking, does it do more or less the same job as Megs Medallion?

BMcN
10-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Also, after using the clay, swirl remover and then paint cleaner, what polish should i use?

I could have either Swirl Free Polish (#82) or Speed Glaze (#80).

I could also have New Car Glaze (#5) or Show Car Glaze (#7). I know Show Car Glaze is stricktly for hand use, what about the show car one? is it appliable by PC?

audio1der
10-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Not trying to totally hijack the thread, but to help save you some time while claying, after washing thoroughly, take the nozzle of your hose, and clay using water from the hose. It`ll give you more than enough lube, save QD, and it`s LOTS faster.

Hope this helps.

(Plus, you`ll already have the nozzle off to sheet the water off after!)

BMcN
10-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Not Hi-jacking at all audio1der, all tips are welcome!

What do I do with the car once a panal is clayed with the water? Do I just use a chamolis to dry the water off?

togwt
10-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Quote: First one on the list. I see there it is called paint renovator. Basically I am asking, does it do more or less the same job as Megs Medallion?

~One mans opinion / observations~

Yes [But IMO a much better product than Megs Medallion]

Autoglym Paint Renovator is a cream, containing blended grades of almost diamond-hard aluminium oxide powder to give a powerful but controlled cutting and fine polishing action. Specialized emulsifiers and oils give a controlled surface preparation. CP contains no silicone and can be applied with a Porter Cable random orbital polisher, or by hand.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

vapore0n
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
clay by hand, rest by PC with the appropiate pad

Ive been testing #26 (liquid) and it has a longer durability than NXT, but a lot less than #16 (beading test). It does has an better initial slickness than SG, #16 or NXT. As for reflectivity, its still holding on.

Lowejackson
10-07-2004, 12:32 PM
The Renovator is quite a strong polish. It slighly dulls the paint and needs a milder polish to bring back the gloss

BMcN
10-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Ok the order will now be as follews, please tell me it will look good as its been ordered:

Megs Clay

Autoglym Renovator

Swirl Remover 2.0

Megs Quick Glaze (#80 I think)

Then NXT polish/wax

imported_BretFraz
10-07-2004, 01:48 PM
You need to make sure that this "quick glaze" product is really #80 and not something else. #80 is more aggressive than #9 so you`d use that before, not after.

Personally I`d start with the Autoglym stuff, evaluate results, and go from there. If it needs more polishing, try more AG or try the #80 (if that`s what you have).

Just take it a step at a time and I`m sure you`ll do fine.

Lowejackson
10-07-2004, 03:40 PM
I would only use the Renovator if you have oxidation or very heavy swirls. It is a strong polish.

For normal swirls etc, there are more appropriate products which will give a better results