PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Miracle Towel MF

imported_agentf1
10-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Anybody use these? The black border seems awfully hard and upon my testing seems to scratch. The white part seems soft enough. Do you cut the black border off or just be careful not to let it touch the paint or could I just have a bad batch?

I also have/use DF Towel, yellow ones from griots and the blue and green (viper and miracle towels I think) from properauto.com and the ultimate waffe towels from this site with no scratching problems but have been weary about using the Meguiars towels. :up

jmsc
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
also called Ultimate Wipe, are white, 16X16, borderless, tagless, cheaper, avail locally, thicker, great for compounds or QD`g.

Antonio Wright
10-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I love the Ultimate Wipe towels!

imported_agentf1
10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Does anybody have problems with the black borders scratching? Is your black border soft? It is the ultimate wipe not miracle towel, thanks.

Rainbow
10-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Meguiars has new micro fibers now that do not have the black border around them. They are great! :D

imported_Aurora40
10-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I haven`t noticed the black border to specifically scratch, but it isn`t confidence inspiring. I never liked the old Ultimate Wipe, but the new edgeless ones are excellent. :)

stevet
10-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I have about 15 of the older Ultimate Wipes with the black border. They work just fine. Never had a problem with the border scratching. I fold the towel and don`t apply pressure on the borders when buffing.

imported_agentf1
10-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Ahhhh, they went to edgeless ones. I am sure they are much better. I am uncomfortable using the ones with the black edge on my cars. I wonder if I can trim the edge without them falling apart?

l33
10-07-2004, 09:35 AM
I loved the black bordered ones. They were my favorite towel for polish removal. I never had a problem with scratching. The new towel has a different feel to it and i don`t care for it much, feels like almost every other towel out there.. I wish they would bring the old one back, it had such a good feel to it, unlike any other MF i`ve tried. You could actually see the perfect uniform fibers with the old ones.

l33
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
How many walfe weaves have no border? Sorry this is a sore subject for me as i really liked the original towel. :sosad :(

Eliot Ness
10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
The sewn border on almost any MF can cause marks if rubbed hard enough. In an "unofficial" CD scratch test I put several towels to the test on a CD. I used some cheap towels from Wal-Mart (I use these for doorjambs, wheels, etc.) along with the quality MF`s and WW`s from the vendors that sell only quality MF`s.

My conclusion was that any of the sewn (or hemmed) borders, if rubbed hard enough by themselves on a CD can induce marring. In real world use however, the sewn edge will most likely never be rubbed against your paint with enough pressure to cause a problem. I have used MF’s for years w/o any problems with scratching or marring. It’s just something to be aware of, that any of the sewn edges (that I`ve seen to date) can cause a problem if rubbed hard enough directly on your paint.

As a side note, although I didn`t test any, I`m sure the border from a quality cotton towel would behave in much the same way.

My next purchase will be some edgeless MF`s from Patrick at

Excel Detail. (http://www.exceldetail.com/)

stevet
10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by L33

I loved the black bordered ones. They were my favorite towel for polish removal. I never had a problem with scratching. The new towel has a different feel to it and i don`t care for it much, feels like almost every other towel out there.. I wish they would bring the old one back, it had such a good feel to it, unlike any other MF i`ve tried. You could actually see the perfect uniform fibers with the old ones.

These were the first MF towels I ever owned. I still have them and they are the ones I use for products that are difficult to remove. Lots of bite but no marring. Too much attention is given to how thick and plush a towel is. These very plush towels don`t have the bite to remove some products. Klasse SG for example can be a PITA to remove and the very plush towels just don`t get it done. I often find myself using the non plush side to remove product because the plush side is too soft to get the job done.

l33
10-07-2004, 11:23 AM
I agree 100%. They had the PERFECT amount of bite to remove polishes and compounds. The have a "look & feel" unlike any other towels. Many users have trouble with removing Menzerna polishes and glazes, with these towels it`s a breeze. To bad they ruined a good thing.