PDA

View Full Version : MF`s..more versatile than I thought!

Peter Crowl
10-04-2004, 09:47 PM
I was cruising the net and landed at Carwash.Com.

They had this excerpt from Professional Carwashing and Detailing Magazine...

Microfiber towels

The jury is still out on microfiber towels in the carwash industry. Because these towels are very absorbent, one microfiber towel can dry five to 10 cars before it needs to be exchanged for a new towel. In addition, the weave in microfiber towels keeps them from transferring dirt, so the towels can safely wipe vehicle bodies, even after they were used on dirty bumpers or soiled wheel wells, explains ERC’s Sweeney.

Because microfiber towels do not transfer dirt, they have become a favorite at detail shops. One towel can be used to remove wax, polish chrome, clean windshields and dust dashboards. For wiping windows, no cleaner is needed, as microfiber towels can clean with just misted water.

If that doesn`t make you cringe.....

Peter..in Denver

TW85 HHI
10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
:scared :shocked

I used about 20 between AIO, SG, and S100!

scottlee
10-04-2004, 10:11 PM
LOL i use around 20-25 for my car on a full detail day

sad thing is some people will believe that and do it all with one towel, guess thats what makes our cars here at autopia stand out from the crowd

:xyxthumbs

Bobby G
10-05-2004, 12:31 AM
<shakes head and walks away in disbelief>

RedondoV6
10-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

I was cruising the net and landed at Carwash.Com.

They had this excerpt from Professional Carwashing and Detailing Magazine...

Microfiber towels

The jury is still out on microfiber towels in the carwash industry. Because these towels are very absorbent, one microfiber towel can dry five to 10 cars before it needs to be exchanged for a new towel. In addition, the weave in microfiber towels keeps them from transferring dirt, so the towels can safely wipe vehicle bodies, even after they were used on dirty bumpers or soiled wheel wells, explains ERC’s Sweeney.

Guess we can expect a lot more questions about swirl removal! :lol

Scott P
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
You mean I`ve wasted my money in buying more than one towel? Sometimes we just need a reminder of how much higher our standards are. :D

Wasatch
10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Do you people really use that many MFs/towels on a one vehicle detail? I use 6-7 not including applicators.

Jesstzn
10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

Do you people really use that many MFs/towels on a one vehicle detail? I use 6-7 not including applicators.

Between drying/ door edges / windows / wheels / engine / polish off / wax off ( and I have designated towes for each ) I will use +/- 12 on my car for a complete detail because it is never very dirty.

Customers cars I can hit 20 easy because they are dirtier and the towels get soiled more.

SilverLexus
10-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I typically use four on a wash and wax...

Sonus WW to dry the car and dry door sills, plush to do windows, Sonus Ultimate Detailing towel to buff off wax, PakShak ultrafine for final buffing.

I also have been using an MF applicator for my P21S and Pinnacle wax application.

For an interior detail, I will use at least 3 more MFs.

****maybe there is a business opportunity in just doing swirl removals from dealers and washes. :)

Jesstzn
10-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

****maybe there is a business opportunity in just doing swirl removals from dealers and washes. :)

I approached the local GM dealer about removal of dealer installes swirls on new cars and was told thier people were *very* capable of doing this.

3 weeks later I got a call from them .. customer bought a new black Impala off the lot that he asked them to buff out the swirls .. they did .. nice glaze job .. a week later he had it in for warrany and they washed it and either swirled it or the soap pulled the glaze they used.

I got a call .. DACP on a white pad followed by Wolfgang took care of it.

Biggest problem is is most buyers aren`t anal and accept the marring or are happy with the glaze and think when the swirls are back they caused them.

debric
10-05-2004, 10:51 AM
A large car wash here in Saint Louis actually explored using MF`s but the owners soon experienced a substantial shrinkage problem....the towels were walking out with the employees, so back to cotton he went.

Peter Crowl
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by VIKING

A large car wash here in Saint Louis actually explored using MF`s but the owners soon experienced a substantial shrinkage problem....the towels were walking out with the employees, so back to cotton he went.

If they would have gone with the industry approved one MF per 5 or more cars it`s probably better that they did go back!

The same informative article mentioned Huck or Surgical towels. I think they`re talking about the same blue hospital towels I`ve been buying for some years now at auto swap meets...

I `ve used them for virtually everything...anybody else have an opinion on them?

Peter..in Denver

Eliot Ness
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

............The same informative article mentioned Huck or Surgical towels. I think they`re talking about the same blue hospital towels I`ve been buying for some years now at auto swap meets...

I `ve used them for virtually everything...anybody else have an opinion on them?........

I bought a bunch of them about two years ago just to use as shop towels. I also got them at a car show and a whole slew of them were pretty cheap. They are bigger than the shop towels I use and seem to be a higher quality, but they have sat in a corner of my garage untouched (except when I move them out of my way) ever since.

Mine are blue with a made in China tag (I spotted some made in India) and are listed as 100% cotton. They look a lot like surgical towels.... they`re not very plush at all so I wouldn`t use them on paint, but they look good for use as a shop towel or maybe on glass?

Edit: what was I thinking.... I use MF`s on glass with great results.... these will be used to wipe off my greasy hands/parts/tools after wrenching.

Wasatch
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I have some blue huck glass towels from WCD, not sure if there the same as what you have, anyways I have not use them yet. There kind of rough compared to my other glass towels.

Peter Crowl
10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
While we`re on the subject of towels...

I was at Costco today and saw a big bag of "Cotton Terry" towels...about 45 of them for $14.

These were next to the MF`s

Anybody know if these are really cotton?

Peter..in Denver