PDA

View Full Version : Why do you NEED Z1 for Zaino?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_COBRyan
10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
I was thinking of using Z2 for my daily driver, but I dont want to have to go out and buy the Z1 or ZFX. Is the Z1 really a useful product or just a marketing scam? I`ll buy it if I have to, but I don`t know why I couldn`t use AIO as a base. I dont understand what maked Zaino any different than any other sealant as far as application goes.

ZaneO
10-04-2004, 05:34 PM
*I* think you can use AIO/Z2 without a problem. ZFX will enable multiple coats in one period, so it`s up to you.

imported_BretFraz
10-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Z1 is not a "base". It acts as a bonding agent allowing the Z2 or Z5 to adhere to the paint surface which offers the great durability Zaino is known for.

ZFX is a very complex ingredient that takes the place of Z1. It makes Z2/Z5 work like any other last step product, just wipe on and wipe off. IMO, ZFX has made Z1 obsolete but some people still like using it.

Zaino is significantly different from a chemical perspective than any other sealant so ya gotta use it the way its designed to get the best results.

jvcn
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Any idea how different Z1 is from the Duragloss Prep or even from the old prep for Polyglycoat?

Jesstzn
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I think come spring I am going the Z1 route .. ZFX is fine but anytime you have to buff out a small area like a fender because of a mar your in a situation where you need to mix up more Z2/ZFX than you really need.

Least with the Z1 you can buff the fender .. apply Z1 and Z2 then add layers days apart to that fender untill happy.

imported_COBRyan
10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
So you guys think it would be a waste to use the Z2 without first applying Z1?

I appreciate the replies!

imported_BretFraz
10-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by COBRyan

So you guys think it would be a waste to use the Z2 without first applying Z1?

I appreciate the replies!

Two things happen:

1. The Z2/Z5 will take forever to setup and dry, depending on weather conditions. It`ll be smeary and streaky. I`ve waited 12+ hours for Z2 to setup (an experiment) and it still smeared.

2. I`ve noticed both less gloss and less durability when using Z2/Z5 alone. I`ve tested 4 generations of the stuff in hot and cold temps and ZFX always made Z2/Z5 perform better.

Other people may have different experiences but that`s how it worked for me.

boeman
10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
I found that even when using ZFX using Z1 as a base helped the base coat of Zaino adhere... I was having an issue keeping Zaino on the new truck, I though at first it was from the (minor) change in the formula, I applied the Z1 base coat and it seemed to bond a lot better... then again, I could be completly insane (probably)

ZaneO
10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
The first year or so that I used Zaino, I didn`t use Z1 or ZFX. I never noticed any major problems. Just my personal experience.

imported_COBRyan
10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

The first year or so that I used Zaino, I didn`t use Z1 or ZFX. I never noticed any major problems. Just my personal experience.

So I assume that you are now using Z1/ZFX? Do you notice any changes in the paint with or without Z1/ZFX? I appreciate your response!

:up

Bobby G
10-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

Exactly my experience, as well. I never had a problem using Z2/5 w/o Z1 or ZFX. Maybe it`s climate sensitive.

svanderbilt
10-05-2004, 02:19 AM
I think the main reason why I *don`t* use Zaino is that I can`t keep all the Z`s straight;-)

paco
10-05-2004, 02:45 AM
Z1 is inexpensive so I would apply it if you are not intending on using ZFX.

Personally, I have always used ZFX with Z2 or Z5.

I have a bottle of Z1 for those just in case opportunities where I may need to spot fix an area where I end up stripping everything in a 2x2 section. Haven`t really had an chance to try it out though - 1.5 years and counting :-)

Going with Z1 or without? I guess that depends on how often you intend to apply Zaino. If you plan on layering and applying it monthly, I doubt you`ll see if a difference. If you plan on applying Zaino every 4-6 months, the extra bonding that Z1 provides will probably make a significant difference in the durability of the application.

imported_memnuts
10-05-2004, 04:44 AM
COBRyan, follow the Zaino directions. Either use Z1 or ZFX for best results..

Do not re-invent the system by substituting other product lines (AIO) for Z1. As Bret stated Zaino is a well-thought out and developed "system" that if used according to directions will give you great results (assuming Prep was good).

If you want some Z1 I will send you 1 oz. That amount will last you years. PM me and we can work something out. :wavey

audio1der
10-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Take him up on that offer!

Seroiously, we`re not all blowing smoke here- Zaino is unlike ANYTHING else, but it is very system-biased, and must be used as so.

Do yourself a favour and buy some Z1, as well as Z6, and you`ll be glad you did.

It is a shame it`s not like every other product we use, which can be interchanged easily, but the results when used properly are stunning :bow

Hope all this helps you out- we`re not here to sell you product.

:wavey