PDA

View Full Version : Product Recommendations for a Tight Budget

Pages : [1] 2 3

cjkbme2w
10-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello:

I am new to this forum and to detailing in general.

I really don`t have tons of money or time to spend on detailing, but would like to protect my car from the elements. I have a 2004 Jetta with dark blue pearlcoat paint (though I don`t know

what the "pearlcoat" stands for).

Key things that I want out of this:

1) Reduce minor swirl marks (car is a 2004, so this is minimal)

2) Give the car a shiny/ reflective appearance

3) Long lasting protection

4) More effectively get off the bug mess on the front of the car-

Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover is not doing the job

Any of your suggestions would be great

Thanks,

Craig

RedondoV6
10-04-2004, 01:58 PM
How much do you have to spend?

Oh, and welcome to Autopia! :)

ZaneO
10-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Sounds like Klasse AIO would be a good product for you to start out with. It is wonderful for cleaning paint thoroughly and leaves behind a long lasting acrylic protection. You can follow that with a good carnauba wax (S100, #16, etc.) or a more durable sealant (Klasse SG, Zaino, etc.)

Once you have good protection, bugs and other things will come off much easier.

There are tons of great products out there. Lots of different opinions, appearances, etc.

imported_SouthernZ71
10-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Locally #26 & #9

Online #16 & #80

All are inexpensive Meg`s product and will last a while...

cjkbme2w
10-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I can spend about $150 on the Microfiber cloths, wash, wax, polish, detailing sprays, bug cleaners, and clay bars.

I already have Stoner products for the glass and tires,

and am looking to get Lexol Cleaner, Conditioner and

303 Aerospace Protectant for the rest of the leatherette

and vinyl interior. I will be getting PakShak microfiber

cloths.

Thanks for your info.

Craig

JasonD
10-04-2004, 04:02 PM
I am thinking ColorX and NXT.

tom p.
10-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Keep it simple ! :xyxthumbs

acl99
10-04-2004, 04:28 PM
AIO +SG or ColorX+#16

imported_BretFraz
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I agree with the Klasse AIO suggestions. It`s a great overall product as it will reduce or remove light swirls, remove light paint defects, and offer some good protection. Topping it with Klasse SG will add to the durability. It`s a good value for $40.

Another choice would be Zaino Z5 with ZFX ($37.00 for the pair). Use a swirl mark remover before hand like 3M SMR (about $10) if needed.

To remove bug goo I have not found anything better than a good all purpose cleaner. Bug and tar removers work fine on the tar part but don`t touch bugs (different chemical compositions). I love Eimann Fabrik Hi Intensity cleaner for bug guts removal. You can use it on wheels, tires, interior, door jambs, underhood.... everywhere. It`s $20/gallon from CMA and can be diluted to 3:1. Meguiar`s and Eagle One also make good APC`s and are prolly a little cheaper.

The other products you have are excellent and will work fine.

Eliot Ness
10-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by cjkbme2w

.........I will be getting PakShak microfiber

cloths.........

Hard to beat Pak`s MF towels! Be sure to enter in Autopia when prompted for a discount code when checking out for a substantial discount.

John

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Well, this will offend many of the Autopia purists, but if you want bang-for-the-buck, pick up a bottle of the Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax in the red bottle for about $5 at WalMart or Target or just about anywhere else. It`s my standby quick and easy one-step product. Just keep it off the trim, it will stain.

jvcn
10-04-2004, 06:06 PM
But ColorX is about as cheap as the Cleaner Wax (maybe $6 instead of $5) and provides a better base should he want to top with #26 or 16.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jvcn

But ColorX is about as cheap as the Cleaner Wax (maybe $6 instead of $5) and provides a better base should he want to top with #26 or 16.

The ColorX is $7 (list price). I would have mentioned it, but I have never used it personally. It is supposed to have more cleaning ability than the Cleaner Wax and use some of the newer Meguiar`s protectant formulas.

I`m sure there are some equivalent economical, available one-step products from other mfrs., I just haven`t used any others lately.

TW85 HHI
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Klasse AIO + SG.

Clay Magic clay kit. I like the Sonus clay products better but the clay and clay lube are nearly twice the cost of the Clay Magic kit.

imported_Larry A
10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step, Mothers 3 step, Mothers Reflection, Meguiars Color X and NXT, Eagle One Nano Wax , and Turtle Wax Platium Ultra. Any of these or any combination of these will work fine with a decent price.